comparison shopping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomhughes

Dec 31, 2006
I've been looking at a Regency and a Napoleon. My contractor is pushing the Regency which I know is a good stove but the Napoleon is a lot cheaper with what look like comparable specs, warranties, etc. Anybody know why the difference?

Thanks loads

tomhughes said:
I've been looking at a Regency and a Napoleon. My contractor is pushing the Regency which I know is a good stove but the Napoleon is a lot cheaper with what look like comparable specs, warranties, etc. Anybody know why the difference?

Thanks loads

Are these freestanding or inserts? Are you looking for looks? performance? how much heating?
Let us know what models you are looking at.

tomhughes said:

Thanks loads

My opinion, the Regency is more expensive because it's a better stove. Not as good as Lopi or even Pacific Energy, but better than Napolean. Napolean is more akin to Drolet, or Century. There is nothing particilarly wrong with any of these brands. But in general you get more when you pay more. Better materials, better workmanship. Oh, and lets not forget Englander. Good stove, less money. But not necessarily a good comparison to the Regency if you are comparing things other than function and quality of construction. But I'd put Englander ahead of Napolean.

BTW, I have sold many Regency stoves but several years ago. Currently I am a LOPI and AVALON dealer and I do think LOPI and Avalon are a little nicer than the Regency, and a lot nicer than the Century, which I also sell. It depends on what you are comparing. If price is your top priority you will end up with the Napolean. But you'll probably end up happier in the long run with the Regency. Of course, Wolf Steel may object, but these are just my opinions - based on being a stove tech who installs and repairs these things every day.

Also, don't forget to factor in the support network. Who will support each of these choices? Will you be handling all technical issues yourself? Give some weight to the network.

Good luck,

The stoves are freestanding pedestal models. They are the Napolean 1400 and the Regency 2400, both medium size. Both models look fine to us. We want it for heat but to supplement our heating system, not as the sole source (we're part-timers.) I'm not sure what you mean by support. Is that who will service the stove? That would by the contractor who will be installing it for me. If I may, how do the Lopi and Avalon stack up in terms of price?

Thanks for the replies and opinions, much needed and much appreciated.

Tom

tomhughes said:
The stoves are freestanding pedestal models. They are the Napolean 1400 and the Regency 2400, both medium size. Both models look fine to us. We want it for heat but to supplement our heating system, not as the sole source (we're part-timers.) I'm not sure what you mean by support. Is that who will service the stove? That would by the contractor who will be installing it for me. If I may, how do the Lopi and Avalon stack up in terms of price?

Thanks for the replies and opinions, much needed and much appreciated.

Tom

Why does the contractor think the Regency is the best choice? Will he be your support? If so, he may feel he has the best chance of being left alone with the Regency. (I'm thinking this is a builder/contractor? and not a hearth contractor)

Briefly, wood stoves are generally sold by "dealers" (though there are exceptions) in a fashion similar to automobiles. If you have no experience with wood stoves this dealer is your support as you learn to operate the stove and will be available for maintenance and/or repair. If your contractor will be your support he will want to choose a stove that has the best chance of being trouble-free and is easy for a new user to operate. Both the Regency and Napolean you mention would be considered simple to operate. The difference would be in the ability to withstand accidental abuse (over firing) and longevity and time between repairs. Also, Regency may offer more decorative features.

Both LOPI and Avalon are higher in price than the Regency.

I'm curious as to the decision making process leading down to these two choices. There are so many stoves out there with so many variables that I feel it is wise to do a great deal of research. I was shopping in the used market and ended up with a "Country" stove. I'm very happy with it, and would recommend the brand. Don't know how Country stacks up in terms of price range however. Good luck and welcome to Hearth.

-Kevin

Price does not always equate to quality. For instance, sometimes Canadian manufacturers have a dollar advantage....that may be why Osburn is relatively reasonable and also why CFM maintains HQ and a large plant there. Napoleon has become a large company and has certain economies of scale also. A few years ago they were just an also-ran, but the new designs look state-of-the-art. I can admit to never looking closely, but the pics sure seem to indicate a quality product.

Also, sometimes you pay more because of a larger profit that the seller or dealer or distributor is making - this can apply whether you are buying direct or from a dealer.

Wood stoves are not cars. It is not difficult to make a good (steel) one. Look at the stove - the fit and finish. Check the firebox size in cubic feet. Check the price. Ask yourself if you feel comfortable with the dealer and manufacturer. Chances are you will be satisfied no matter which brand you end up choosing...the current crop of stoves contains very few lemons.

Status
Not open for further replies.