Compatible flues?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbursan

Jan 29, 2014
Upper Alabama
If I get a Quadra-Fire with a 6" flue would I be able some time down the road to replace that stove with another brand without replacing the flue so long as it is also 6"? Or does each manufacturer make a proprietary design?

Do you mean a 6" liner? if so a 6" liner is a 6" liner quad does not make liners so it would definatly not be brand specific. The only thing that is to my knowledge is a zero clearance unit many times they specify a specific chimney system.

Do you mean a 6" liner? if so a 6" liner is a 6" liner quad does not make liners so it would definatly not be brand specific. The only thing that is to my knowledge is a zero clearance unit many times they specify a specific chimney system.

I guess this is more complicated than I thought? :) What is a liner? Are these things double-wall with an inner flue and an outer liner?

No a liner is generally single wall although there are some double wall ones. But usually they are single wall either flexible or rigid there is heavy wall flex and light wall flex. Or are you talking about a prefab chimney that comes preinsulated and goes together in sections?

No, this is all new construction. It will be a stand-alone stove, probably a Quad 3100, with whatever chimney system is required. No masonry. Not sure of the terminology here.

Ok then you are talking about a prefab class a chimney and yes they will be universal with any 6" stove. The only thing is all the parts of the chimney need to be the same brand.

There is nothing proprietary with regard to the stove except perhaps a flue collar adapter. If you update the stove it should work with the same 6" flue system as long as the new stove also requires a 6" flue.

Status
Not open for further replies.