Complete novice here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
More great input, thanks everybody!

A sale would be good. I can definitely wait for that.
The sales might come sooner, I can't recall when they come. You don't have any Menards home centers there but every year they come out with a special ad just for heating equiptment going on sale (clearance) as winter yawns.
It's like lawn equiptment, they say wait until after July 4th every year if you want to find a better deal on a mower...

Sales start late January into February. As soon as the big box stores need to clear room for spring inventory.

Reactions: WiscWoody
One thing to consider is if you fire that stove up and it has some type of major manufacturing defect will you have any recourse whatsoever?

I personally would stick with the bigger summers heat for the same price. While I don't personally have experience with the woodpro stoves. From things I've read on this site it seems to be a lower quality stove and 900 for it seems high

Reactions: Squisher
Yea not sure about pricing in your area but that's a 600 stove here in mid mi

No problem that's what we're here for. Kind of all feed off each other, great site and guys here are more than helpful

IMG_2850.PNG
I don't know anything about the Wood Pro or where they are made. It doesn't look like they have individual brick liners whicjph I would want myself. Funny the guy didn't include a photo of the back label...? In past post I was saying that my Drolet Eastwood 1800 was 2.7 cf but I looked it up and it's actually a 2.3 cf stove. And like I said it does the job in our very cold climate of the northland. BTW, Drolet's are made in Quebec Canada where they wrote the book in home heating, insulation and proper ventilation/vapor problems. Here is some dealers close to your town.

Last edited by a moderator:
WoodPro is a budget line for HHT - Hearth and Home Technologies. This is also the parent company for Heatilator, Heat & Glo, Quadra-Fire, Harman, and Heatilator Eco-Choice. They are a conventional tube, non-cat in design. The fireboxes are firebrick lined with non-conventionally sized firebrick and the baffles appear to be ceramic fiber board. They are very competitively priced which makes me think they are made abroad. Here are a couple Amazon comments to someone that asked if it's a steel stove:

Yes the stove is made of steel. The top of the stove is approx 1/4 inch steel... I would assume the body is as well. It is a well built stove and very efficient. We just went through our first winter with this stove and loved it. I would definitely recommend this stove.
By SteveM on September 4, 2015

The blower it comes with is cheep and loud after about a month. The ash clean up is messy. You open the door to the fire box and there is a plug in the bottom you have to move and shove ashes in the hole while dust goes everywhere. But its steel.
By Drew on September 4, 2015

Reviewers seem to either love it or hate it. To be fair the poor ratings sound like first time burners that had wet wood or too short chimneys.

Last edited:
The ash clean up is messy. You open the door to the fire box and there is a plug in the bottom you have to move and shove ashes in the hole while dust goes everywhere. But its steel.
It sounds like wood burning isn't for this guy...... this is the same way I remove ash from my stove and I have no problem with it. I recall someone on this forum who ran two hepa filters and didn't want to run a ceiling fan in reverse on account it could make the ceiling dusty...... I bet he doesn't burn wood any longer.

Last edited:
That would work. It's not the most efficient, but should heat the cabin if the place is always kept heated throughout the winter. If not and the cabin is allowed to get cold for periods of time then you might want something that will heat the place up quicker.

If you go to look at this stove pay close attention to the interior. Look for cracks in the stones and examine the secondary tube for cracks. Check the baffle out for warping.

I wouldn't rush into a Craigslist purchase- post some photos of the inside and outside of the stove for the folks here to look at before buying.

There have been lots of threads on here that go like:

OP: I got a fantastic deal on this stove, can anyone tell me what kind it is?

Everyone else: It's an old design with broken welds and missing parts, put it on the curb and go buy a stove

OP: I think I can fix it up, after lots of research I think it just needs $400 in parts and a bunch of welding

Everyone else: Fine if you need a patio chiminea, otherwise put it on the curb and go buy a stove

OP: But I paid $300 for it!

...Etc.

Except that any true classified hunter knows the deals don't last. So while you are doing your due diligence of posting pics and awaiting responses anything that's a actual deal usually will be gone by then.

I am a classified junky and search daily for certain items, stoves being one of them, and any hot deals usually go fast.

For example a BK princess went up on the weekend in my locale for $1500cdn, ad gone within 24hrs.

In order to truly scoop a classified deal you need to know what you're looking for and what to look at on it and then pounce like a tiger when the 'deal' gets listed.

Researching and seeking opinions after a item gets listed isn't a bad idea, but most real deals go quick in my experience.

Is any stove that was built in the 1980s thru 1990s ever a good deal? Should I even be considering a $300 'deal' on an older stove when I've been recommended the $900 2017 stove earlier in this thread?

I wouldn't look for a stove that old but deals are out there. I bought my 2000 super insert this year for $400 another $150 in paint and parts and I've got $550 into a beautiful insert that retails for $2250.

Deals are out there. But they aren't just usually sitting around waiting for your consideration. Right now local to me there are two super inserts listed currently at $1200 and $1700. They are going nowhere quickly.

IMG_1192.JPG

Reactions: gregbesia
Some can I think but mine can't. If you want a freestander and you're shopping secondhand I wouldn't plan to convert a insert into a freestander.

As Jetsam pointed out. It is easy to turn a deal into not really a deal.

I wonder if I should look for an insert for my existing fireplace and dispense with the freestanding stove entirely.

The freestander will give you a better range of options and in general better functionality than an insert stove. On the other hand, the insert could save you a bundle on construction costs, depending what needs to be done. The insert also takes up less room.

You appear to be in a fairly mild climate, so I might lean towards the insert, but they're both valid choices- just don't confuse a stove insert with a fireplace insert while shopping.