Completely ticked off at my dealer right now.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tundraSQ

Oct 7, 2006
I just got home from work and looked in the garage to find my 4 tons of pellets delivered. I had a 30 minute conversation with them prior to the delivery and stressed to them that i wanted hardwood pellets and boght them at 259 a ton. Today I get home and find 4 tons of enegex softwood pellets.....i am fit to be tied!!!!!!

ugh! calm down, Tundra! Did you pay by credit card? You have a chance there if you did. Did you call the dealer? WHat did they say? Could very well be a mistake that they might happily take care of....just given the chance. I know we sell 7 brands now, and sometimes mistakes are made. Hardwoods are pretty hard to come by, but its still no excuse. Try the Honey routine with them first.....Oh, there must be a mistake, I ordered and paid for Hardwood pellets, could you please change them out soon? Be nice first, if you dont get your way, THEN be nasty!

HarryBack said:
ugh! calm down, Tundra! Did you pay by credit card? You have a chance there if you did. Did you call the dealer? WHat did they say? Could very well be a mistake that they might happily take care of....just given the chance. I know we sell 7 brands now, and sometimes mistakes are made. Hardwoods are pretty hard to come by, but its still no excuse. Try the Honey routine with them first.....Oh, there must be a mistake, I ordered and paid for Hardwood pellets, could you please change them out soon? Be nice first, if you dont get your way, THEN be nasty!

I WAS nice on the phone last week when I ordered them...tonight I got the machine, and I was polite but firm. Now reading online I find that there is a camp that says that softwood burns hotter and produces a lighter ash. *sigh*

I am going to grab a beer and crank up the fire.,....

tundraSQ said:
HarryBack said:

I WAS nice on the phone last week when I ordered them...tonight I got the machine, and I was polite but firm. Now reading online I find that there is a camp that says that softwood burns hotter and produces a lighter ash. *sigh*

This buds for you! :cheese:

Attachments

• Picture036.jpg
    Picture036.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 517
In my opinion softwood pellets are as good or better - one could say there is no difference....but really good softwood pellets always worked better for me than hardwood....

It's not cordwood - the basic idea is that most woods contain the same BTU per lb, and hardwood and softwood pellets weight about the same since they are both compressed.....

So, if I were you I would give the dealer a break and burn the pellets......mainly because it really does not make any difference (IMHO).

tundraSQ said:
HarryBack said:

I would agree with that, pellet stoves are different then woodstoves, and pine pellets burn better IMO. At least thats what my customers tell me. Oak has the ability to burn slow, so woodstoves hard wood makes perfect sense. In a pellet stove i would think the most heat without the least amount of ash would be the ticket. I would be more concerned on how they were made, the quality of the manufacturing process would be more important.

ok..a couple beers, a cold meatloaf sandwich and a deep breath....calming down now. I called the dealer back and asked them to just check to make sure I paid for what I received. I am coming at this as a woodworker...fardwood is much better than softwood and much more expensive...so it must make better pellets....:)

I will trust you guys that the energex is a decent pellet....and let the dealer work out the money part of it.

GVA said:
tundraSQ said:
HarryBack said:

This buds for you! :cheese:

thanks!!!

Highest BTU's per pound that I've ever found (9200) is Heartland Wood Pellets made by Pope & Talbot in SD. Ponderosa Pine. Hardwoods tend to have less ash but since were talking premium pellets here they're still all 1% or less. The myth that hardwood pellets have more BTU is absolutlely false.

According to what I've read, softwood pellets are better...Don't compain.

I have been burning Energex softwood pellets. You can visit Energex.com, and they will tell you all about softwood pellets. The word is, the resins in softwood are more flamable. Also, Energex claims an average of 9000 BTUs per pound. Mine have been burning beautifully, so I think that you will be just fine.

tundraSQ said:
ok..a couple beers, a cold meatloaf sandwich and a deep breath....calming down now. I called the dealer back and asked them to just check to make sure I paid for what I received. I am coming at this as a woodworker...fardwood is much better than softwood and much more expensive...so it must make better pellets....:)

I will trust you guys that the energex is a decent pellet....and let the dealer work out the money part of it.

From the wood worker point of view. Hardwood is denser and heaver than soft wood. In pellets, 40 pound bags are 40 pounds, whether made from hard or soft wood. It does take more softwood (board feet) to come up with 40 pounds. Wood fiber should burn relatively at the same rate in pellet form. If soft wood pellets produce less ash, that is a plus. I burn pellets made from Western Fir, half way between soft and hard. Clean, low ash and lots of heat.

If you are burning stick wood, it may be a lot different. Bulk and weight per stick generates different BTu's. Pellets seems rather close in generating heat than wood. If you get a break on price because of the label, take the deal. All I have heard about Energex is good.

Just my opinion.

well, I think he paid for hardwood, and should get what he paid for. Im burning softwoods from British Columbia this season....a brand called Quality. So far, so good.....at least as good as most, if not all, hardwoods. Ive also burned Energex, burned fine, excpet I didnt like all the deposits on the glass.....maybe a difference between western softwoods and eastern softwoods...i dunno. Ive burned hardwood pellets for years now, shifting gears here in New England, because i dont think theres enough hardwood pellets to go around, and when folks ask me how these softwoods are, Id like to have an informed opinion, rather than something like " i hear it burns well...."....

I only burned softwood pellets in our stove. Pine and then fir. They burned fine. The fir is supposed to have a higher heat content, though quite honestly, it is really hard to tell whether your stove is getting 8000 btus per pound or 9000. I'll have to trust the testing organizations for that. If you have a good quality softwood pellet, then it should be consistent in pellet size, clean and minimal fines. And month after month, it should burn just fine.

HarryBack said:
well, I think he paid for hardwood, and should get what he paid for. Im burning softwoods from British Columbia this season....a brand called Quality. So far, so good.....at least as good as most, if not all, hardwoods. Ive also burned Energex, burned fine, excpet I didnt like all the deposits on the glass.....maybe a difference between western softwoods and eastern softwoods...i dunno. Ive burned hardwood pellets for years now, shifting gears here in New England, because i dont think theres enough hardwood pellets to go around, and when folks ask me how these softwoods are, Id like to have an informed opinion, rather than something like " i hear it burns well...."....

Yes I agree he should get what he paid for, but If the Honda dealer gave you a fully loaded Hybrid Accord when you ordered a low end stripped model, do you complain? (assuming the price is the same)

Warren said:
HarryBack said:

Yes I agree he should get what he paid for, but If the Honda dealer gave you a fully loaded Hybrid Accord when you ordered a low end stripped model, do you complain? (assuming the price is the same)

Some pellet folks are funny.....some swear brand A is the best by leaps and bounds over brand B, then another guy will come in who will tell you the opposite! So, no, in this case, where he thought he was getting brand A, and was delivered brand B, he should get brand A. Now, if the dealer called him, or left a message asking if it was ok to send brand B because the brand A's were unavailable, then thats ok.
Personally, Im no fan of Energex for several reasons which will go unmentioned here. So far though, i dont really see much of a difference in early season burning between softwood and hardwoods...but i burn Harmans, and they will burn almost anything anyways....folks with more finicky stoves may see a difference....Im sure some of my customers will tell me tho!

HarryBack said:

I burned western softwoods in real finicky early stoves - and they definitely did better than the eastern pellets at the time - which were catamount. At the time, (western) Lignetics was known as the best and we pretty much confirmed this over and over.

But stoves have changed, and you are correct that Harmans will burn just about anything. I used 3% ash peanut hull pellets in a Harman mechanism....a nice smell, too!

Don't think I ever used eastern softwoods, but it would make sense that they would not be the same as western.

I'll take softwood over hard any day, for one simple not so important reason. They smell nice! I also think they burn a bit hotter.

I don't know a THING about pellets, but I know that all wood in general has about the same exact BTU BY WEIGHT. So 4 tons of ANY type of wood should have about the same BTUs. The only reason people prefer hardwoods in general (for fireplace or woodstove) is because of the VOLUME - a cord of hardwood (cord=volume measurement, NOT a weight measurement) has a lot more BTUs than a cord of softwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.