Completing the Wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
This week I finished my firewood wall. The storms last year, a huge Red Oak scrounge and a mild winter made this year's work quick and easy. After splitting and stacking all the wood piled all over my back yard from the fall and winter, I have filled my approx. 12 cord stacking space. That should be just over three season's worth. I don't really have to bring any wood home until I start burning in the fall. This will be the first summer since we bought the house in 2003 that I won't be dealing with firewood. I'm not sure what I'll do with all that free time. I keep seeing wood around, but I really have no place for more wood on my suburban 1/4 acre.
I think I'll come in at less than 2 1/2 cords burned this year. I have located the other 1 1/2 cords that I would have needed after a normal winter. I hope it is still there in the fall. It will be nice NOT to work in the summer heat.
I haven't downloaded the pictures yet, but here is the space I had to fill to complete this 32x4x5 section of the wall. DSC06970.jpg

Looking good. I will have my 60' x 12' x 5' wall done within the next month. The rest of our summer/fall cutting will go to the landing at my FIL's place. I should be set for 5 yrs after this summer. I will have at least 3 yrs worth at the house.

I have room but not sure I want to see anymore wood in the yard than I already have. Running out of space that it isn't in the way and like Flatbedford I see wood all over the place and not sure how to stop! It has become an addiction. Only plus is that I scrounge with someone else so we split everything which is good.

It will be nice NOT to work in the summer heat.
I haven't downloaded the pictures yet, but here is the space I had to fill to complete this 32x4x5 section of the wall.
Twelve cords in a single wall? Can't wait for the pics! :cool:

This is just single-row and has a small break at the tree closest to the stack that separates the Oak and Maple, but I'm going to call it a 100+ foot wall. ==c Got around ten cords stacked so far...can't stop. :oops:

Steve, that is great. Now you have some extra time for other things and if you are at a loss, I know a little lady who lives with you and she would probably be very happy to make some suggestions as to what to do with that time! ==c

You are at the point now where most people should be. Getting there was a lot of work but now it is sort of like priming the old pump. You had to first pump like crazy but then when the water came, all you had to do was keep a little steady pressure on it and you had lots of water. Well, now you just keep a little work every year just cutting for one year and not more. Of course, if you have the room....

Reactions: ScotO
Woody Stover, what are you using to cover those stacks?

My stacks are three rows, or just over 4', deep by about 5' high. No room here for single stacking. Here's a picture from last summer. It looks about the same now, only it is 3 feet longer now. It's hard to get far enough away to get a picture of it all. It does make a nice privacy fence between us and the neighbors.
DSC06575.jpg

Reactions: zap and ScotO
Looks good Steve. I wish I could say that I was finished splitting and stacking from the winter hauling. I have never had this much here at the house. I feel blessed but this early warm up is making my normal Spring wood splitting a bit less enjoyable. I have a lot of thing though to get into this summer and I am sure you will not have any trouble find lots too.

Very impressive both FBF and Woody! I never get tired of looking at stacked firewood!

Ray

That's a long wall ! I was cosidering doing that on the edge of my property, but don't Know if I want to move my wood that far when It's ready to burn. I'll probably just keep it close to the boiler shed to make things easier. It sure would make a nice 2 or 3 year fence though.

Here's some pictures. Left to right is... The North stack. The South stack. The West stack.
DSC07075.jpg DSC07076.jpg DSC07077.jpg

North is about 5 cords. Half Red Oak, half Black Locust, with some Ash and maple mixed in.
South is about 6 cords of Red Oak with some Cherry and Maple
West is a cord of Black Locust.
All bit the North Red Oak will be ready to burn in the fall. the oldest is from August, 09, and the newest was cut in January, this year.

I keep seeing wood around, but I really have no place for more wood...It will be nice NOT to work in the summer heat...here is the space I had to fill to complete this 32x4x5 section of the wall.
So I guess you've got a couple more similar stacks that get your total up around 12 cords? Did you cut it all since you got that Oak scrounge or do you have some wood that's been drying longer, or some quick-drying wood in the mix? IIRC, you didn't have to haul the Oak too far, which is nice...
In a way, I wish I didn't have as much room; Then I'd have to quit bringing more wood home. :rolleyes: But I've got several cords of rounds here to split and stack and a few more cords to buck and bring back here. Some of that will be going into the in-laws' stacks, but still... I've got several trees here that are dead, and I also saw some Hedge that I'm going to ask the farmer about. I'll keep going this Summer but like you, I'm glad I don't have to mess with it if it's real hot out.
Woody Stover, what are you using to cover those stacks?
Those are some runner floor mats with rubber backing. The problem is that you have to put a lot of wood on top of them or they blow off in heavy wind. The only stacks that are covered now are the ones that have been drying for a year already. Recently stacked wood isn't covered yet. I've got a lead on some aluminum roofing in 2' x 14' sections that I plan to screw onto the tops of the stacks.
I never get tired of looking at stacked firewood!
Ray
In hindsight, I should have known I had a problem as soon as I found myself hanging around a wood-choppers forum, looking for stack pictures. ;lol

Reactions: ScotO
You read my mind (such as it is,) FBF. Very nice! :cool:

What are those tanks?
Don't look, but there appears to be a large forest behind your house! :oops:

Those are the f&^*?!g gold infused propane tanks. I try to intimidate them with the firewood.

Status
Not open for further replies.