Composite Decking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1100sqft PT deck that is 25 yrs old and is still solid as a brand new one.
I just sanded it and stained it (to remove the previous owners horrible Home Depot Behr opaque stain/paint) off and it looks like a new deck. Almost all painting/staining products at HD are total crap. You need to research online what is best and find a good dealer. You will pay 50% more but you will have a fantastic and longer lasting result. And never, ever paint a deck. Only transluscent stain it. For me, I'm very happy with the Sikkens stain I bought. 1 gallon covered amazingly with 1 coat and looks awesome.

I love to stain decks a darker color because no one does that anymore. Remember to use a water based synthetic resin, NOT an oil based. Oil is food for bacteria.

Last edited:
I bought my house with the composite decking. Not sure of the brand or the year it was built. It gets a lot of sun and when pressure washed it does look good but fades over the summer. On real hot days I can smell the plastic and gets hot on the feet . I am sure this floor will last for ever

We have 2007 era Trex Accents. It has held up very well. I just power wash lightly or use a stiff brush once every couple years. It weathers, but we have weathered gray, so its supposed to. The deck is on Cape Cod, 1/4 mile from Nantucket sound, so wood was out of the question.
uploadfromtaptalk1432050231154.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.