Compressed blocks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdog

Oct 15, 2013
Mineral wells wv
I work at a plant where we have millions of pallets used that any one can take all the time here my question is we have some that have square blocks between the tops and bottoms and they look like those eco blocks i wonder if they are they same thing? I will post a pic of them in a min just didnt know if any of you guys have seen these and tried them out before and if they were any good. All our pallets are kilin dried and heat treated not with pesticide tho so they are ok to burn

I would be surprised if those spacers are actually the same as the sawdust fuel bricks. Rather, I would expect your spacers to have binders (glue) in them as it likely would be more durable when wet and perhaps even a bit cheaper to manufacture a consistent product. I don't know how well the various fuel bricks hold up to being nailed/screwed into either.

Then again - if you could determine that they are the same that would be quite the find eh?

Reactions: eclecticcottage
Yeah, I would bet they are like a pressboard stuff-sawdust and glue. No good for a stove. Pallet pieces though, those make for good burning if they aren't treated and thats a pretty good thing to have a stash of around.

block.JPG

And we also have them same size that are solid oak blocks i have used those before out side this is my first time having a wood stove but i will use them in it to the solid ones for sure. Pine,poplar,ash,and oak pallets. Im going to try break one these down see if its compressed or has glue in them

They do look like eco bricks, I have some pallets with some of those, I'm pretty sure they have glue though because I've left them out in the rain and they don't fall apart like a eco brick that gets wet.

yea i was wondering how i could tell if they had glue in them or not is that a test get them wet see if they fall apart bc they set outside in the weather and they look fine

Status
Not open for further replies.