Compressed wood fuel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy S.

Feeling the Heat
Oct 28, 2013
Southeastern, PA
The wife loves making trips to PA Dutch country (Lancaster) and came home last weekend with a package of no-name compressed wood fuel (the small ones, not the three-pack you get at TSC). Just s clear plastic wrapper with no label. She thought they were fire starters.

I put six of them on a bed of coals at 9:30 PM the other night and had they took off immediately. I had the air completely closed within 15 minutes and the secondaries were still rolling when I last looked at about 11. Unlike at any time with any wood the insert was still throwing heat at 5:30 the next morning. I opened the air and opened the door to see what was left of them and the blower actually came back on. There was a glow that surely could have lit-off another load. It was the most heat I've ever gotten from a single load.

I'm a huge fan of the "free" aspect of heating with wood but if I had local access to whatever that stuff was I'd reconsider in a heartbeat. The ease of stacking, the lack of mess, the value of time (enjoyment aside) and the superior heat have me thinking in a big way that a pallet of the stuff would be a really good investment. I just wish I knew what it was so I could run a longer experiment.

All of that said, any fellow Lancaster-area people know what this stuff is? I regret not taking a pic of it.

Compressed and dried horse poop. Has been used for years all over the world.

bob

Status
Not open for further replies.