Compromise with the wife...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bster13

Minister of Fire
Feb 24, 2012
CT
My wood pile is to the left of my house, visible to the street....my wife has always hated it.

At times she has threatened to have a fence put up, which would negate the $ savings of heating by wood in the first place. Anyway, I've learned to stack a bit better and try to keep things neater. Today was our Fall cleanup day of leaves and the wood pile.

I previously kept my uglies closer to my neighbor's yard, but alway felt bad about the mess. This year I kept the uglies closer to the house. My wife actually had a decent idea.... a false stack of wood to hide the uglies, haha:

lV8ncKK.jpg

The wood pile has three new stacks that you can see to the left in the photo, then three 1-yr old stacks to the left of that, then outside my fence, behind all those stacks, I have three more 1-yr old stacks. Don't ask me how many cords I have....I suppose it's "enough." :p

I looked and looked and I can't find anything ugly in that picture!! Looks all good to me.

Looks like stacks of money to me . . .

That said, my wife puts up with a lot with us heating with wood . . . the mess of ash and wood bits on the hearth, the wood stacked in the yard, etc. . . . the one thing she asked was for me to process my wood on the side yard and to stack it in the side yard which is not so obvious to folks who drive by . . . it actually worked out better for me to listen to her and move where I was cutting and stacking.

My wife would not let me stack in the back yard (huge fenced in area in the pic) because she was worried one of my stacks would fall over one day on the dog while he was digging for a chipmunk. That actually worked out better in that I used the side hard which was closer to the driveway where I unload the wood. I don't think I could keep up with all this work if I had to stack my wood in the back of the yard, then move and restack it by the house, that's just extra work (nuts!) to me.

Only thing I'd like to do is find cheap and aesthetically pleasing covering for my wood pile. I'm not sure that exists. For now (I know fellow Hearth members will grill me) I don't cover it at all and it looks much better. The cheap, clear plastic stuff I had just gets brittle and tears over time.

G_d help me if I have to spend any more time in that darn wood pile splitting! :p

The goal this year is to split a bit through the winter, and certainly in the Spring and not leave it to the Fall where I am scrambling.

I guess I'm lazy... I like to back up the truck right there on my grass in front of the wood pile. So shrubs or a fence in front would be a pain. For now, this "false pile" seems to keep her happy so we'll roll with it. :)

Wife - Comprise - that does not compute (You may of course call it what you will to preserve some sense of manly dignity);lol

I'm lucky that my stacks of split wood, and piles and piles of un-split wood, doesn't bother my wife at all. What does bother her is the time I spend processing it all. She seems to think my time is better spent inside painting perfectly good rooms a different color, or installing shelving for her to put trinkets and pictures on.

My wife and I always compromise; I admit I'm wrong and she agrees with me.

58895-2a3b6bf7ba8e58b522d72fda2d10ebad.jpg

The holz hausen was invented as a compromise with somebody's wife. Mine aren't in clear view from the street, and that is a shame. Works of art, of you ask me.

Reactions: D8Chumley
image.jpg
image.jpg
I think I do it more for me than the wife. I just can't stand looking at a messy stack of wood. There are 14 pallets to the left, and 12 on the right. All stacked about 6 ft.

Last edited:
View attachment 145684
image.jpg
I think I do it more for me than the wife. I just can't stand looking at a messy stack of wood. There are 14 pallets to the left, and 12 on the right. All stacked about 6 ft.

You must be at the South Pole!
How do you keep it suspended like that?

I'm just jealous, your stacks are nicer than mine.

Reactions: claydogg84
Might be time to look for a new wife. LOL

Wife - Comprise - that does not compute (You may of course call it what you will to preserve some sense of manly dignity);lol

"Resistance is futile! You will be assimilated!"

Female_Borg.jpg

Last edited:
Does she like the heat?

If so...

>

Status
Not open for further replies.