Computer Paper in the Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles1981

Minister of Fire
Feb 19, 2013
Michigan
So I have been lackluster in my collection of black and white newspaper this year for starter material. I have an abundance of xerox paper (all cheapo, black and white ink, waste paper). I actually haven't been able to find a thread talking specifically about computer paper anywhere about whether or not this would be good to burn or not. I guess my concern would be chemicals used to create the paper and ink, but I can't see how it would be any different from newspaper and ink....

Or would I be wrong? Biggest concern really for me is my catalyst....

It is mostly costco copy and print paper... Some threads mention not to use glossy paper or again any paper with color on it....but white plain jane computer paper and black ink from an inkjet? Anyone see any issues here?

My wife drinks a lot of milk from those wax coated cartons. I like to cut them up (after the milk is out) and use them as fire starters. They burn well and don't make the sort of ash that can make it up your flue causing the potential for a chimney fire if you aren't on top of your sweeping.

Should be fine I would think as long as you don't burn large quantities at a time. The ash might clog the cap screen in that case.

Reactions: prezes13
Should be fine I would think as long as you don't burn large quantities at a time. The ash might clog the cap screen in that case.
Because of that I stopped using paper to start my fires.

There's also a variety of fire starters out there. People here like the super cedar brand. I've used another, duraflame I think, and just cut them into 1" chunks. Works fine. Now I have a bunch of home made starters made from cardboard egg cartons filled with sawdust and wax.
There's plenty of free newspaper around too if you have something like a nickel ad in your area.
Or just use the printer paper.

If it is paper, I burn it to get the fire started. Some burn better than others. Newspaper almost always does best. I shred bills and use the shredded paper sometimes.

I would love to order super cedars...but If computer paper is good to go I will take free every time.

I just wanted to make sure there weren't some chemical in normal copy/xerox paper or printer ink I would want to avoid. (I would figure however it is similar to black and white newspaper but thicker stock)

And it is only for starting fires. Basically come round December we don't need any starting material anyway because the stove runs 24/7 through March/April. But the next few months we go through a decent amount of starting paper...And I am having a harder time finding just black and white newspaper...I guess I could visit the recycling center, but I have so much computer paper..

Most newsprint now use soy-based inks for color printing. They are much safer and ok to burn. Glossy magazines still use petroleum inks. They dry faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.