Computer Performance - Google Animation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Just an FYI. My computer performance went in the dumper starting this morning. I got to investigating and one of my Google Chrome browser tabs was eating 75-85% of CPU resources. It was just a tab open on the Goggle homepage. Seems their Thanksgiving animation is a hog. Even if you don't click on it.

I checked it using Firefox and it isn't as bad but that animation alone is using 18% of CPU for every open tab with it.

I just checked on my system. With Firefox it is 1-2% cpu and with Chrome 1%. This is with a rocking good graphics card which should be doing all the work. Their Thanksgiving clip is all vector animation. The hit should be tiny. I don't see any increase in cpu load when I play it.

Last edited:
Congrats. It is still doing it on my wimpy machine when I display the page.

I checked my Mac too and found the hit to be 10% in Chrome and 9% in Safari. Then checked on an older WinXP system and found Firefox as at 15% cpu. Seems like the old Dell just ain't what she used to be.

Yeah I hear ya. Weird that the only thing that does it is a Chrome tab with the animation in it. Without the animation at top all normal. Tis a mystery. Of course 5% of a monster CPU ain't nothing to shake a byte at.

I think those are flash animations.

They are running them in Flash off of youtube now. Did a little element inspection. Also a search revealed that some of them have been eating CPU cycles and pegging some for years.

I changed my search page to their advanced search and the machine is rocking again.

25% on my 2 yo Mac in Safari. Whatevs.

Status
Not open for further replies.