Computer warning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Thanks, Begreen & Velvetfoot! Seems I don't have Java, but I sure appreciate the heads up, since I just got internet at home for the first time (even if it has to be dial-up:()!

FYI Expect some dysfunction after turning java off. You may not be able to use or go to commonly used sites, like online banking, depending on how they are setup and your browser.

"The warning was posted by the Department of Homeland Security’s Emergency Readiness Team, which issued Vulnerability Note VU#625617 to address the issue. Says the advisory, “Due to the number and severity of this and prior Java vulnerabilities, it is recommended that Java be disabled temporarily in web browsers as described in the “Solution” section of the US-CERT Alert and in the Oracle Technical Note ‘Setting the Security Level of the Java Client.’”
Using the vulnerability in Java, individuals with malicious intent can exploit the weakness to infect the machine. Ready-made exploit kits are available for sale online that take advantage of the issue, making it a fairly simple task for anyone to perform. With the kits, randsomeware can be placed on machines and identities can be stolen, among other things.

"Oracle has stated that it will release a patch for the issue on January 15 that will fix 86 security vulnerabilities. The company is requesting that users update Java as soon as the possible after the patch is released. In response to the advisory from the Department of Homeland Security, Mozilla announced that newer Java plug-ins on Firefox are now blocked from auto-loading unless the user manually authorizes it.""

http://www.slashgear.com/users-advised-to-disable-java-due-to-security-weakness-11265030/

FireFox+ No script, no worries

In Firefox do you have the edit bar with the smilies and stuff in the reply box with Javascript turned off?

Working for me. :) with Java off in SeaMonkey 2.15.

java off.PNG

You you still have the JVM on that machine BG?

Good point, thanks. It's located in another advanced option. I disabled it and now the reply options are gone. Looks like I am going to be using the iPad a little more.

Serious security hole was found. I did more than disable it, I uninstalled it for now to see how its absence affects me. Already I am seeing a big increase in speed on this machine, I forgot how fast it used to boot up and be net ready! Not really sure if Java was slowing it down that much since I've got a pretty powerful machine, but I am seeing a difference. I was running the 64 bit version.

I just checked. The source code for this page is 3796 lines. I will let you crawl through it to find out. ;lol

This flaw is not new. Apple finally said enough and started disabling java in their updater last year. This site works fine on my Mac, so there is an alternative method.

Status
Not open for further replies.