Concealing Propane Tank and Age of Tank

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

khq0660

May 19, 2023
I have a consumer owned propane tank that came with my house. It is upright, about 4 1/2" tall x 14 inch D. It is ugly. I can't get any safety advice from anyone since it is consumer owned and the company that sold it no longer sells that size. It is in a corner against my house, so two sides already have no airflow. I would like to either put lattice wood or plastic screening around the other two sides or grow some bushes there to hide it. How much clearance do I need between either of these and the tank for safety reasons?

Also, I've been here 13 years and I don't know how long the original owner had the tank, so no idea how old it is. At what point does it deteriorate and become a safety hazard?

Thanks in advance.

It sounds like a 100lb tank. Depending on your usage, these can last a while, or not. They aren’t big tanks. Before you go covering it up, make sure it’s full enough to not go empty soon after you conceal it. Leave enough room around the tank to move it. Propane gas is heavier than air. If it doesn’t have enough room to get away from the house, it might find your basement. I physically move mine into a trailer and then take it to be filled.

They are supposed to be recertified for safety after a number of years, but I’m unsure of the time period. There should be a date stamped into the top of the tank or the guard around the valve. Older tanks didn’t have any extra protection around the valve. One of my tanks is almost as old as I am. It’s never had an issue being refilled. I’m not sure I’ll refill it again as the safety valve is releasing pressure on hot days. I’m not sure if they overfilled it or it’s failing. Or both. I turned my regulator to drain that tank first.

It sounds like a 100lb tank. Depending on your usage, these can last a while, or not. They aren’t big tanks. Before you go covering it up, make sure it’s full enough to not go empty soon after you conceal it. Leave enough room around the tank to move it. Propane gas is heavier than air. If it doesn’t have enough room to get away from the house, it might find your basement. I physically move mine into a trailer and then take it to be filled.

They are supposed to be recertified for safety after a number of years, but I’m unsure of the time period. There should be a date stamped into the top of the tank or the guard around the valve. Older tanks didn’t have any extra protection around the valve. One of my tanks is almost as old as I am. It’s never had an issue being refilled. I’m not sure I’ll refill it again as the safety valve is releasing pressure on hot days. I’m not sure if they overfilled it or it’s failing. Or both. I turned my regulator to drain that tank first.
I have never used it in all of the years I've been here. I tried a few years ago to get someone to unhook it and haul it away, but couldn't find anyone to do it who had any credentials. I need someone who knows what they are doing. It's hooked to the fireplace in my living room. It sounds from your reply that if I enclose it, I risk getting gas trapped and creating a hazard.

I don't think you need credentials to disconnect a propane tank and haul it away.

It run the fireplace to make sure it's empty and get rid of it.

Up here tanks must be recertified (hydro tested) every 10 years and the relief valve replaced. Most places here will dispose of old tanks free of charge of you drop them off because they can make a couple bucks off the scrap steel.

I don't think you need credentials to disconnect a propane tank and haul it away.

It run the fireplace to make sure it's empty and get rid of it.

Up here tanks must be recertified (hydro tested) every 10 years and the relief valve replaced. Most places here will dispose of old tanks free of charge of you drop them off because they can make a couple bucks off the scrap steel.
I don't know anything about if you have to bleed out the lines to the fireplace or how to cap off the pipe running into the house and I want to make sure that whoever removes the tank knows these things. I think I found someone who will take it away. It's not empty. I don't know how much is in it though.