Q&A Concern over Vent-Free fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

My wife and I are seriously considering a ventless fireplace- but are concerned about the safety (air handling- etc...) of it. We will soon have a baby in the household. Is there information that you can send me that would re-assure me that there is no issues with a system such as this (PRO's/CON's)? Other than being Cerified by Blah Blah Blah.

Answer:

You are smart to be concerned. The Ventless makers have not yet done any "real world studies" of their products. I think they should !
There are concerns about ovesizing, indoor air quality and other factors.
<p>
Consumer Reports did a review on these fireplaces and did not have good things to say about them.
<p>
Bottom line (in my opinion) is this: These are for very occasionaly use only, and in those situation where venting in other ways is difficult or very expensive. If you are sensitive to odors and concerned for your baby, you should consider a vented unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.