Concern - question for the woodburning pros

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool. My second statement above still applies, though. It's likely the cracked door was inducing enough draft to help carry some embers up the chimney, which may not happen when the doors are closed. Not saying this is something to be worried about, unless you have combustables very nearby.

I'm pretty sure every one of those stove manuals specifically states, "do not leave the stove unattended with the door open 1/2"." I was commenting to the fact that he went outside to gather sage while the stove was in this state, not as to the practice of cracking the door to start the fire, while you're standing there watching it.

Like most others, I also crack my door open to get things going on start-up. I just don't leave the stove to go outside with it in that state.

Got it, the key word is "unattended". I agree. This was missing from the original post.

Status
Not open for further replies.