Concerned about Fireplace Mantle Igniting.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredo

Nov 24, 2011
Mi
To my good friends at Hearth,

I am concerned about my FirePlace Mantle behind my Wood Stove Igniting. When My good neighbor built my Hearth I exceeded Recommended, Combustable Clerances. Both sides of stove have clearances of two feet, front clearance is two feet and rear of stove is eighteen inches from wall.
Behind my stove is old Propane Fireplace which has a Fireplace Mantle made out of pine. Stove stack is nineteen inches from back of wall but mantle is only thirteen inches from stack. As my stove was burning this morning, top stove temps were hovering between 500-600 degrees and stack temps were between 400-450 degrees. For what ever reason, I decided to touch fireplace mantle which was pretty warm to touch. This of course made me very concerned so I decided to call on my family here at Hearth for their opinion on this matter.
Can my mantle over time become compromised and ignite due to constant exposure to stack temperatures?

Thanks, Fredo

Fredo,
Does the mantel intrude on the safe clearance to combustibles zone? If not then you should be fine. The heat probably isn't great for the wood, which is to say you wouldn't want to store a fine piece of wood furniture at the minimum distance from the stove, but it should not ignite even if it gets warm and the wood looks dried out.

Stove stack pipe is single walled and I thank GOD that I touched my Fireplace Mantle this morning. Even though stove stack is eighteen inches from back wall, Fireplace Mantle is not. I was not Concious of Mantle distance (13 inches) until now and need to address this issue so I protect my family and home from potential disaster.

Thank you for all your help...

Fredo

Put the shield on and breathe easy, I did.

fv

I am going to purchase heat shield from Amazon.com and want to thank my stove dealer and all of my friends at Hearth for recommending shield to me.

Fredo

Status
Not open for further replies.