Concerned Damper is too far down but no smoke out of chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cdove11

Jan 26, 2014
colorado
have vermont casting savannah ssi30. Burn oak and ash. Comfortable temp range with mag reading is 600F. My process is as follows. Stove temp drops down to 500Fish. Reload box open damp let it burn. At about 600 i damper it down and most of the time the damper is maybe 10% open and there is no smoke coming out of the cap/chimney with the damper down this much. Today I did notice a bit of white smoke. Not much. today outside temp at 25 or so where it been usually 35-40. Don't know if bc it's a bit colder that is why I'm seeing the hit on white smoke. It's not steam. Just wondering if dampering it down this far is dangerous. My goal here is one increase burn time and stop the temp from climbing up to fast. As the temp starts hitting 600-650 thats when I damper. went through a chimney fire in regular fireplace and woke me up to say the least. So I am very very careful.

Useful info maybe
Temp gauge is on stove top just back 2 inches from door. It's not sitting all they way back against the face plate where i would get a reading of 700 if Im reading 600 where my current placement is.
Usually burn 3 pieces of wood at a time. reload usually every 2 hours. ( this seems off to me being every 2 hours. would think I could go longer. there are just chunky wood logs/ coals at this point at 500f when i reload.
This insert is 3 years old maybe. EPA approved with re-burn. Re-burn kicks in when I damper it down to that 10%

I spent weeks when I got my 1st stove shutting the air down and walking outside to check for smoke. After a while you'll learn which wood burns best at which setting. If your maintaining a cruising temp and there's no smoke I'd keep cranking it down until the fire dies down or you get smoke, then open back up until you find the sweet spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.