concerned for neighbor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to do a search to even find this post from yesterday, and now that i found it I notice that the dates are REALLY screwed up and the comments aren't even in the order they were originally made! lol, I'm only posting now, to see if that bumps the post back to the top.

I had a similar situation. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/29185/
The owner of that place has since had a stainless liner and Jotul Oslo professionally installed. I'll sleep better this winter not worrying about her as much.
I have friends that, since I started burning and hanging out here I realized, burn "old school". Yearly chimney fires are not a big deal to them.
I've got the call at 1:30 am to help "snuff them out". They're splitting their wood for this year now.
I make smart-ass comments while we're splitting but they shrug me off as a know-it-all newbie.

BrotherBart said:
This has to be the friendliest special interest forum on the Internet. One of the things that impressed me about it. Most of the "boards" draw fire from anything somebody posts...

Call it a power trip. I call it sweeping up the joint.

You're right about that. I've always been impressed with how little flaming and criticism goes on here. Maybe its the quality of the members or maybe you moderators work a lot harder than the rest of us realize? Either way, this is my favorite board to read.

My sincere thanks to all the moderators.

BrotherBart said:
Danno77 said:
BrotherBart said:
greythorn3 said:
u could make yourself fire marshal of the neighborhood.. i bet youd be real popular.

You could hold it down and I wouldn't have to delete so many of your bullshit posts.
i hope you don't take issue with that particular suggestion. I actually liked the idea and had already started making a badge out of yellow construction paper. The actual firefighter that lives across the street might take offense, though, lol.

This has to be the friendliest special interest forum on the Internet. One of the things that impressed me about it. Most of the "boards" draw fire from anything somebody posts. This one usually doesn't and since Craig stuck my hanging around here self with the button that can blow away nasty remarks, they will be blown away until the button goes away. :coolgrin:

Call it a power trip. I call it sweeping up the joint.

BB, I have moderated/moderate on a few horse BB's, and run a BB for a horse rescue in Oregon http://www.itsafarm.com/phpBB3/images/smilies/smilies1/putersmile1.gif

Keep on sweeping http://www.itsafarm.com/phpBB3/images/smilies/smilies1/consoling2.gif

This place is my safe haven http://www.itsafarm.com/phpBB3/images/smilies/smilies1/cool1.gif

I hate to say it, but I think other than taking Bart's suggestion this is one of those times when folks will continue to do what has always "worked" for them in the past and will consider any advice as unwanted as most folks don't like to be told that what they've been doing for years is at best inefficient and at worse is downright dangerous. It seems that many folks will adopt the mindset that since they haven't had any fire, then their installation and burning practices are perfectly fine . . . which is true up to the night when the improper installation burns the house down, the neighbor dies, the media gets hyped up and then things change . . . or change for awhile until the lesson of the past is forgotten.

just a quick update. I stopped by yesterday to talk to the neighbor. He wasn't home, so as I walked away I noticed more information about the stove that i thought I'd share. The stove has good clearances on the sides and back and front, I didn't think to see whether or not the stove pipe has good clearance above it from the ceiling. On another good(ish) note, it is not sitting directly on the old dried up wood floor. It is actually sitting will all four legs on their own cinder blocks (the good), with no ember protection anywhere (the not so good). I'm glad to see the extra air space between the stove and the floor, but it'd be nice to have some good ember protection and a little more R-value.

Let me ask you this: as a WORST CASE SCENARIO, can I help him use what we have to make it safer? Just throwing out some supplies I'd be willing to give him if it's worth the time, and if they are even potential improvements.

1. I have a piece of paperfaced 3/4" drywall that is probably 4x6,
2. I have a piece of 2.5(ish)ft x 8ft corrugated steel roofing.
3. 3 pieces of new 6"x36" single wall black stove-pipe and one 90 degree bend
4. 3 bags of concrete
5. 2 bags of mortar
6. 1 bag of very fine sand
7. 1 bag of Agricultural lime
8. 5 smoke detectors still in their boxes and are 3 years old
9. 1 tube of high temperature caulk
10. 1 roll of r-15 insulation that got left out in the rain and could probably be dried and usable again (but not in my house, lol)

To me, the best thing you can try to do would be to give him the detectors. Just tell him you bought them, thought you lost them and went back and bought more...then wouldn't you know it you found them sitting in a drawer. Just tell him you noticed he heats with wood too and ask if he wants them.

You probably won't tell him he needs to rearrange his stove without insulting him...but at least you'd get him and his family out of the house when it caught - and you can probably offer him the detectors without him suspecting you think he is doing something wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.