concrete anchor plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brian89gp

Minister of Fire
Mar 15, 2008
Kansas City
I am looking for something to bolt to a basement concrete slab to hook a chain onto, chain is rated for 5400lbs so the plate should withstand that. A stone foundation wall, above grade, is leaning outwards and I want to pull it back into place so I can repoint the exterior. Chain angle would be roughly 22.5* and there would be multiple chains and anchors. I have not been having much luck find anchors that are rated for a certain weight.

at a 22 deg angle... you're almost getting into plain shear..... that's well within the range of a 3/4 X 5 kwik-bolt/thunderstud/trubolt... whatever you want to call them.... your chain will fail before the anchors do..... assuming you've got normal 3000-3/4 slab...

Call me paranoid, but I like the idea of at least two bolts per chain. There a way you can think of doing this? Perhaps two anchors and two short chains to the main chain?

Slab is 60+ years old so no guarantee's about anything other then I will verify thickness before I do it (...the cause of the paranoia for multiple bolts). I am jacking the house up slightly off of the stone foundation so the stone will be unloaded, I figure the entire section of the wall I am moving to be no more then a couple tons in total spread across 3 main chains. The top of the wall needs to come in about 6" in total.

is this a rubble foundation? if it is do NOT lift the house off of it. if you want multiple bolts... then go with 3 - 1/2"X4 kwikbolts- you're still well in the 3X safety factor range....

stone/rubble foundations are not for the layman to mess with to be honest....

Status
Not open for further replies.