Concrete floor paint

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
I'm looking for recommendations for painting an interior basement concrete floor. No cars, oil, heavy traffic, its a office/lounge area. I don't want to see it peeling in 6 months. Any success stories.

No one's painted a cement floor/porch?

Tape a section of plastic down to the floor and make sure there is no moisture coming through. If there isn't condensation after a few days, you're good to go.

How much of an area do you have to do? I'm a bit obsessive when it comes to garage/basement floors, and I use epoxy whenever I can. You can cover about 200sqft for about $200. Thats not bad for something you will never have to do again.

Any standing water and moving furniture will scratch and take up floor paint.

I picked up a gallon of concrete paint at Menards several years back for my utility room (below grade/basement). Worked great. No lifting, peeling or bubbles. Being the floor it dirties very easily as you might expect. Particularly since it doesn't form a hard surface like epoxy will. Go dark if you're going to do it. I went with a battleship gray and it shows everything...

I have heard and seen good results from the Rustoleum epoxy concrete floor paint. I think they also sell different staining kits for more flair.

But like Sportsbikerider says, test the floor for moisture first.

Tape a section of plastic down to the floor and make sure there is no moisture coming through. If there isn't condensation after a few days, you're good to go.

How much of an area do you have to do? I'm a bit obsessive when it comes to garage/basement floors, and I use epoxy whenever I can. You can cover about 200sqft for about $200. Thats not bad for something you will never have to do again.

Any standing water and moving furniture will scratch and take up floor paint.
I'm doing about a 20x15' area. No water issues. Also a few area rugs in the middle.

I picked up a gallon of concrete paint at Menards several years back for my utility room (below grade/basement). Worked great. No lifting, peeling or bubbles. Being the floor it dirties very easily as you might expect. Particularly since it doesn't form a hard surface like epoxy will. Go dark if you're going to do it. I went with a battleship gray and it shows everything...
I was wondering about the color, thanks. Did you do much prep? My floor has been painted before, it is mostly worn away.

I have heard and seen good results from the Rustoleum epoxy concrete floor paint. I think they also sell different staining kits for more flair.

But like Sportsbikerider says, test the floor for moisture first.
Since this is an office/lounge is epoxy overkill?

Its only overkill if you want it to look amazing! Plus, with epoxies you get a great finish.

300 sqft is about 2 gallons of epoxy. I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to this stuff...and I use PPG epoxies.

I've done it in my basement with success. I used what HD stocks a few years ago. Probably the same now. I put flakes in it. Came in grey and tan.

The benefit of going to a special paints and epoxies store is that you will get a better product than HD and they can make it any color you want. You'll pay 30% more.

Never had much luck with painting concrete,ill be covering my concrete basement floor with a vinyl snap together product that looks like tile from sams. No underlayment needed,waterproof , cuz for sure there is moisture coming up from below at times that would push any paint product off the surface.

I did a few garage floors with Racedeck plastic tiles. Painted floors work well also as long as you don't park hot tires in the summer on them. Hot tires in the summer on painted concrete is the problem.

Never had much luck with painting concrete,ill be covering my concrete basement floor with a vinyl snap together product that looks like tile from sams. No underlayment needed,waterproof , cuz for sure there is moisture coming up from below at times that would push any paint product off the surface.
We've used the vinyl adhesive strip, allure, floor in other places with good result. Thought painting would be easier, guess not. Allure is $45, a box. I wonder if it will prevent heat loss into the floor?

We've used the vinyl adhesive strip, allure, floor in other places with good result. Thought painting would be easier, guess not. Allure is $45, a box. I wonder if it will prevent heat loss into the floor?
Im using that product with the snap together seams ,has had good reviews for years. Using that mostly because it can go directly over concrete.

A good friend of mine used the Rustoleum Epoxy in a garage and it's held up well. He didn't use the flakes, just grey paint. One thing I would note is you can't waste time getting it down. It doesn't have a long working time and dries fast if I remember correctly. Prep and get your game plan down before starting.

Im using that product with the snap together seams ,has had good reviews for years. Using that mostly because it can go directly over concrete.
I'm thinking snap together would be problematic with concrete, uneven, floors. What's the brand name?

I was selling Racedeck flooring for 2.50 sq ft fifteen years ago. Think I was paying around 1.85 delivered. 8 year olds could do the install less the perimeter cuts. Uneven floors were no problem. Look up Racedeck.com

I'm thinking snap together would be problematic with concrete, uneven, floors. What's the brand name?
I think its the same people as allure. Seems the stick together stuff had some deficiency's that were corrected by the snap together stuff.
I know the first generation of stick together performance capability was subject to installer keeping the seams clean before installing and glue getting too old before it was used. Possibly causing bonding issues. I never had any problems but know of an install the the seam came apart.

I used the Rustoleum garage floor paint in my basement probably 8-10 years ago, I have had no issues with it whatsoever. I followed the prep and install directions to a T. It is the tan color with black/white/brown color flakes, it hides dirt well (too well sometimes)

I was wondering about the color, thanks. Did you do much prep? My floor has been painted before, it is mostly worn away.

I did very little prep in my case. I basically swept, vac'd and then painted.

I did the full-on "commercial grade" epoxy in my garage years prior. I wasn't looking to do anything near that amount of work for my utility room. If you're considering doing a three day project with cleaning, etching, priming, coating and finishing you might as well go for some high solids epoxy.

Or if you have both a high traffic area AND want it to look really cool, go with tile.

www.racedeck.com

Made in the USA. Looks really nice going down over top of an epoxy floor that didn't quite live up to expectations!

I'm thinking about doing the Racedeck floor covering in my two car garage. I'm afraid of the VOCs in the epoxy...

I'm thinking about doing the Racedeck floor covering in my two car garage. I'm afraid of the VOCs in the epoxy...

I can't say I'd every "fear" VOC's (respirators are cheap) but I can say you will not regret Racedeck. I went with their free-flow line. I'm now in my third year and am exceptionally pleased with it's durability. A little Simple Green is all it takes to make it look new each spring...

Status
Not open for further replies.