Concrete storage tank

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandiapaul

Hearth Supporter
Jun 21, 2008
Central NJ
After much back and forth I've decided on a poured in place concrete tank. The tank will be about 700 gals and roughly half of the volume will be below grade.

I have 2 questions for the group:
1. Where should my insulation be, outside or inside (or both)the tank?

2. Would one of the liquid EPDM products work as a sealant? Some are rated to 300 degrees. http://www.epdmcoatings.com/technical1.html

It does not say if this in at constant temp, and I would doubt that it is. The regular EPDM liner with its max temp of 175-180 scares me a bit...

Thanks,

Paul

IMHO, insulation belongs outside the tank. It must be kept dry to be effective. That may be a challenge on the outside of a buried tank, but it's much more of a challenge inside. Plus the dang stuff wants to float....

My worry about sprayed-on insulation would be their integrity if the concrete should develop a small crack. good question for the vendor. If it were me, I might do a belt-and-suspenders approach and do both spray-on and sheet EPDM.

You need more insulation than you think. If 6" is right for a house, you need at least 12" for a tank. The temperature difference is more than twice as great.

Status
Not open for further replies.