Condar Cat. Monitor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian1973

Sep 30, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
Picked up one of these for my Defiant. Just was curious how long the battery lasts in one of these things... seems it doesn't run all the time, only when you push the button so just curious if the battery will last a season or should I get the AC plug for it? More wires doesn't thrill me but I also don't want to replace batts a couple times a winter!

???
Brian

Stick with an analog and be done with it.
Welcome to the hearth buy the way, I see its your 1st post.
Maybe you could provide a link so we can see this digital remote thermo your talking about. Keep your receipt for now. ;-)
Cheers

ummm, ok.... maybe someone else can help me. thanks for your input.... and the link and the "welcome".... not sure what is such a pain in the arse with a simple digital monitor but you can keep the rest of your opinions to yourself as I'm just searching for someone with some positive, informative input.... I may be new to "here" but I'm not new to stoves... Defiant is only a freestander.... the digital monitor seems like a nice tool....

The question again is about the batteries in this monitor... whether they will last a season or whether the AC cord is a good $20 buy?

I'd pay 20 bucks to not have to deal with batteries, but you could probably get one of the generic ones at Wal Mart cheaper. I wish I had had one of those with my VC cat, probably would have given me a better clue what was going on with it as the stove top temp didn't always. Welcome to the forum.

Brian1973 said:
ummm, ok.... maybe someone else can help me. thanks for your input.... and the link and the "welcome".... not sure what is such a pain in the arse with a simple digital monitor but you can keep the rest of your opinions to yourself as I'm just searching for someone with some positive, informative input.... I may be new to "here" but I'm not new to stoves... Defiant is only a freestander.... the digital monitor seems like a nice tool....

The question again is about the batteries in this monitor... whether they will last a season or whether the AC cord is a good $20 buy?

You read me wrong, I meant OH again as I misunderstood what you were dealing with and I didnt know that you coud not get at or have access to read your CAT analog. Meaning that would be a pain in the arse without having a remote one. Your link was to help someone quicker than sending them on a web search to see if they could help you. I will go now.

I installed this monitor in December last year in my Defiant CAT; went through about 7 (!) batteries. To be fair, I was using it a lot since I was having trouble with back-puffing and trying to determine why. The montior was set on the stone mantle above the stove; not the best location since the battery was probably getting a bit warm which probably reduced its life somewhat; I've since moved it off to the side. The battery is also a PITA to replace, as it is very snug and deeply set in the monitor which required a knife to get it out. I would recommend getting the AC adapter (I'm going to order one myself).

ahh, ok North of 60... understand better now... musta been the Canadian accent! har har

Thanks Gridlock, my experience tells me warmth shouldn't hurt batteries as much as cold does.... ?? warmth would be more of a concern with the plastic case of the unit as it notes in the monitor literature... My guess is your use wore the battery out....

unfortunately the unit doesn't allow you to turn off the display, only turn it on and then it stays on for 30 min.... noticed it also doesn't show temp until you get to 500... for those with the appearant quicker steel cat combusters that I believe can be engaged @ 400 guess they just wait until they see 500 appear?

guess I'll wear out what 9V batteries I have and give it a whirl over the winter.... really don't want to connect another wire to it.... which i guess can go on whatever side the probe isn't connected to... doubt you will find a connector like that at Walmart or RatShack so if I go the AC/DC route, IMO will just spend the $20 and get the right thing.

ahh, ok North of 60... understand better now... musta been the Canadian accent! har har

Thanks Gridlock, my experience tells me warmth shouldn't hurt batteries as much as cold does.... ?? warmth would be more of a concern with the plastic case of the unit as it notes in the monitor literature... My guess is your use wore the battery out....

unfortunately the unit doesn't allow you to turn off the display, only turn it on and then it stays on for 30 min.... noticed it also doesn't show temp until you get to 500... for those with the appearant quicker steel cat combusters that I believe can be engaged @ 400 guess they just wait until they see 500 appear?

guess I'll wear out what 9V batteries I have and give it a whirl over the winter.... really don't want to connect another wire to it.... which i guess can go on whatever side the probe isn't connected to... doubt you will find a connector like that

Brian1973 said:
unfortunately the unit doesn't allow you to turn off the display, only turn it on and then it stays on for 30 min....
That's correct and something I never liked about the unit. It should turn off if the button is pressed while it's on.
Brian1973 said:
noticed it also doesn't show temp until you get to 500...
Mine shows temperatures below 500; I just noticed 400 on the unit last night.[/quote]
Brian1973 said:
guess I'll wear out what 9V batteries I have and give it a whirl over the winter.... really don't want to connect another wire to it.... which i guess can go on whatever side the probe isn't connected to... doubt you will find a connector like that
I just called Condar about that; the AC adapter connects to the 9V battery connector inside the unit, so the battery cover will not be able to be on the unit with the AC adapter connected. Kind of a cheesy design IMO. I did just order the adapter since I do monitor the temperature a fair amount and will easily go through more $ in a season that the cost of the adapter. I don't like having another wire either, but prefer not to change batteries so often.

maybe does show below 500? literature says it will show COOL until 500.... ????

Hmm, didn't know that it hooks to the battery connectors of the unit... says in literature you can extend the battery life by having the ac/dc adapter -which leads me to think you can keep the battery in there while also connected to the wall.... that sounds VERY cheesey if not... not that having the battery compartment open is a big deal but I would think open metal contacts aren't a very safe thing... if ya can, when ya get it, get a pic on here.... thanks for the interesting info!

Brian1973 said:
maybe does show below 500? literature says it will show COOL until 500.... ????

Hmm, didn't know that it hooks to the battery connectors of the unit... says in literature you can extend the battery life by having the ac/dc adapter -which leads me to think you can keep the battery in there while also connected to the wall.... that sounds VERY cheesey if not... not that having the battery compartment open is a big deal but I would think open metal contacts aren't a very safe thing... if ya can, when ya get it, get a pic on here.... thanks for the interesting info!
I don't think that it's a safety issue, as both the voltage and current draw are very low. Cheesy yes, but probably not unsafe.

I will post a pic when I get it.

I used one last year with my intrepid, changed batterys 1 time and its a usefull tool for monitering cat operation... mine wont read untill 500 degrees either.

Status
Not open for further replies.