Condar Chimguard

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

potter

Feeling the Heat
Aug 8, 2008
western NY
I was given this to put on the top of my stove by the stove salesman, and have been using it since first fire. Don't have anything to compare it to. Are these things accurate? Anything better I should try on another corner fo comparison? Probably don't want to invest in IR- unless there's an affordable one I can use with my kiln, too. (to 2300 degrees) :coolsmile:

Just bought a Rutland at the local hardware store....mostly concerned that these are not under reading.
The oslo seems to perform best when it's reading 550-600 on the Condar. This seems a little high, We're not being boiled out of the house- avg. 72 inside at 25-35 outside.

Bake it in your oven at about 450F or so for a few minutes & see what it reads as compared to the oven temp. That won't tell you its accuracy over the enitre range, but it'll provide at least a data point. Rick

ACK! Fired up the stove tonight after a warm day. Put both thermometers on left front corner. Condar topped out at 650- Rutland 550. Shut down primary cause I got nervous Condar fell at a faster rate and difference between the two diminished. Now about 610 on the condar- 540 on the Rutland. What to believe? Been using the Condar, have I been firing too cool? Stove was pinging a bit at the high point, but it's about the hottest its got to.
Do need to test , but the oven is a bit unreliable, too. Need a good oven thermometer now. ACK!
Any off hand thoughts about which is likely to be more accurate?

I went out yesterday and exchanged the Rutland yesterday. Right now it's reading 450* and the Condar is at 550. I assume this means the Condar is reading hot. I'm going to stick them both in an electric kiln with a digital pyrometer and fire it up to 550.
Little OCD but I feel like that 100 degrees is alot- if I think the stove is cruising at 400- and it's really 300, it could lead to creasote.
Also if the Rutlands are right I've only run the stove up to no hotter than 525-550*.

Status
Not open for further replies.