Condar Probe Thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Just a fair warning to others thinking of purchasing the Condar Flue Gard mod 3-39. I just read the directions for mine and it says replace after 4000 hours of operation. This is only 1 full season for me. Also says not to scrape soot or ceosote off the stem it will not effect the readings. I wish they had this info on their web site, but I guess nobody would buy one then.

Todd:

I've been using a Condar probe (similar to the 3-39) for about twenty years... and never realized they had a 'limited lifespan'.

Mine still provides a reliable <relative> reference for flue temps... and I still trust it in that capacity.

Recently I ordered two identical Condar probes, so I can monitor both flue internal and cat 'overhead' temps at the same time... and have some faith that the readings will be directly comparable.

I don't think many (if any) inexpensive stove thermometers provide truly accurate 'absolute' temp readings.

Peter B.

-----

Peter B. said:
Todd:

I've been using a Condar probe (similar to the 3-39) for about twenty years... and never realized they had a 'limited lifespan'.

Mine still provides a reliable <relative> reference for flue temps... and I still trust it in that capacity.

Recently I ordered two identical Condar probes, so I can monitor both flue internal and cat 'overhead' temps at the same time... and have some faith that the readings will be directly comparable.

I don't think many (if any) inexpensive stove thermometers provide truly accurate 'absolute' temp readings.

Peter B.

-----

Well I hope mine lasts as long. I bought one of these awhile back and when I cleaned out the pipe I figured I should scrape all the black stuff off the stem with a little sand paper and after that it read way off. Guess I should of read the directions. :red:

Some observations:

1 hr after full load:
Stove top 550
Internal pipe temp 650
external pipe temp 300

3 hrs later:
Stove top 420
Internal pipe temp 440
External pipe temp 210

So on my setup the internal pipe temps are roughly twice the external pipe temps with the thermometer 20" above the flue collar. Pipe is 24ga single wall.

Todd:

Our stoves are (of course) very different, and I use an internal stovetop probe (immediately over the cat) instead of a stovetop surface thermometer, but comparing notes, here are some fairly typical readings for me...

--

1 Hour after hot reload:

Flue temp: 400-600*
Catalyst temp: 800-1200*

--

3 Hours later:

Flue temp: 300-400*
Catalyst temp: 600-800*

--

I also bought a stovetop thermometer recently... but am (as yet) at a complete loss as to how to meaningfully correlate surface and internal temps other than 'one's twice the other'... which is not a maxim I trust.

Again, with simple bimetal thermometers, the actual temps may not be entirely trustworthy, but relative temps (as you already know) can be real useful as well.

Peter B.

-----

Looks like your flue temps are half your cat temps. I wonder if mine are similar. My stove does have a hole in the back for a cat probe, but it would be hard to read that way. You would think Woodstock would of come up with a probe for the front or top? Anyways, the pipe probe seems to react faster and is probably more accurate than the magnetic types.

little tip, DO NOT SAND CLEAN A PROBE THERMOMETER best way to get the crud off is a vinegar solution , put it in a glass that will let the probe stand up and leave it standing in it for a couple days or so, it will safely break up the buildup in most cases without damaging the probe

My stove has Condor probe located in the hot plate directly above and very close to the cat.. It has been in service for over 20 yrs. and has endured temps approaching 1700 degrees and regularly sees 1400 degrees and cruises for long periods at 1000 degrees and still works fine... I wouldn't worry about yours too much..

Ray

Maybe after 4000 hrs the cal would be slightly off!not much to make a diff in the stove world.It may be a good way to get some owners to buy a new one every few years.I have the condor magnetic one near the stoves front door and have been happy with it so far (1 season).

stanleyjohn said:
Maybe after 4000 hrs the cal would be slightly off!not much to make a diff in the stove world.It may be a good way to get some owners to buy a new one every few years.I have the condor magnetic one near the stoves front door and have been happy with it so far (1 season).

They are probably not too accurate to begin with but they are a good visual indication.. The only purpose of mine are to let me know when the cat is active and the magnetic on the flue pipe tells me when I need to reload or adjust temp to minimize creosote..

Ray

stoveguy2esw said:
little tip, DO NOT SAND CLEAN A PROBE THERMOMETER best way to get the crud off is a vinegar solution , put it in a glass that will let the probe stand up and leave it standing in it for a couple days or so, it will safely break up the buildup in most cases without damaging the probe

Thanks for the tip Mike.

I remember reading on the packaging that buildup would not affect the accuracy, but I didn't take that to mean you couldn't (or weren't supposed to) clean it off if you wanted to. I lightly scrape the crud off the stem with a putty knife. I just can't bring myself to put the probe back in the (clean) pipe when it's got buildup on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.