Condar Temp Probe vs. The Thermocouple...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I think of it....

The probe reading 800 be experiencing much cooler temps (for the body of the unit itself) than the surface thermometer would.

A surface thermometer is actually living in the 800 degree environment if that's what it is reading. A probe thermometer is just interpreting 800 degrees.

I'd ask the guy about that and see what he says.

pen

3fordasho said:
Just to add to the Condor confusion- my experience was the opposite, instead of reading too high, my condor probe thermometer seldom got above 200-300F. I concluded it was due to my installation in a telescoping section of double wall connector pipe. Mine was installed in the "overlap" section of telescoping connector pipe there is actually 4 layers of sheet metal... leading to a extremely low reading. I've since moved to Tel-tru probe thermometers that have a reading range of 200-1000F. The coiled element is in the flow of flue gasses (inside the stainless probe tip). I've found these to be accurate and reliable as long as I don't exceed the 1000F limit. These have a quick reaction time, at least compared to what I saw with the condor probe. I use one of their replacements for the thermometer in a "big green egg", can be had for ~$20.
http://www.teltru.com/s-136-big-green-egg-grill-dome-kamado-replacement-thermometer.aspx

I wish that thermometer had a little higher range. I can see pegging it pretty easily if your not careful. What kind of temps do you generally see with it?

Todd said:
3fordasho said:
Just to add to the Condor confusion- my experience was the opposite, instead of reading too high, my condor probe thermometer seldom got above 200-300F. I concluded it was due to my installation in a telescoping section of double wall connector pipe. Mine was installed in the "overlap" section of telescoping connector pipe there is actually 4 layers of sheet metal... leading to a extremely low reading. I've since moved to Tel-tru probe thermometers that have a reading range of 200-1000F. The coiled element is in the flow of flue gasses (inside the stainless probe tip). I've found these to be accurate and reliable as long as I don't exceed the 1000F limit. These have a quick reaction time, at least compared to what I saw with the condor probe. I use one of their replacements for the thermometer in a "big green egg", can be had for ~$20.
http://www.teltru.com/s-136-big-green-egg-grill-dome-kamado-replacement-thermometer.aspx

I wish that thermometer had a little higher range. I can see pegging it pretty easily if your not careful. What kind of temps do you generally see with it?

Two fireviews with different flue set-ups and different temp probe locations due to the flue differences. On start up or reload (bypass open) I try to keep flue temps 500-600F. In cruise mode (load of wood/cat engaged) one stove will run 300-400F, the other runs 400-500F (flue temp, not stove top). I've only pegged the tel-tru once or twice when I forgot to shut down/watch the temps for a few/5 minutes and yes it can happen pretty easy but this is the time you can't let yourself get distracted or really even leave the stove room as I seen reloads go from 400 to 1000F+ in minutes. I have not pegged either one this season or last so I must be keeping a closer watch on things. One tel-tru did read low after the over temp incident. Most models can be recalibrated.

Dasho, what is the flue setup? Straight up or with elbows?

3fordasho said:
Todd said:
3fordasho said:

Two fireviews with different flue set-ups and different temp probe locations due to the flue differences. On start up or reload (bypass open) I try to keep flue temps 500-600F. In cruise mode (load of wood/cat engaged) one stove will run 300-400F, the other runs 400-500F (flue temp, not stove top). I've only pegged the tel-tru once or twice when I forgot to shut down/watch the temps for a few/5 minutes and yes it can happen pretty easy but this is the time you can't let yourself get distracted or really even leave the stove room as I seen reloads go from 400 to 1000F+ in minutes. I have not pegged either one this season or last so I must be keeping a closer watch on things. One tel-tru did read low after the over temp incident. Most models can be recalibrated.

Wow, those temps seem low but if you figure flue temps are 50% higher than external single wall temps like Condar states it would be right in line with mine. I guess I might have to try another thermometer.

BeGreen said:
Dasho, what is the flue setup? Straight up or with elbows?

Both stoves use Supervent products as sold at Menards. All connector sections are double wall, the class A stuff is the double wall stainless with the insulation between.

Stove A (first installed) has a 90 elbow right on the back of the stove, an ~3' vertical run of double wall connector pipe(tel-tru is installed in this section, about 24-30" above the stove) to a 45 elbow, 1' straight to another 45 elbow that ceiling connects to 15' of class A.
Aproximately 4-5' of the class A is in attic space, the rest exposed. This is the stove that runs 300-400F flue temps at cruise.

Stove B has a horizontal run of adjustable length double wall connector pipe (~18") that goes straight out the back of the stove to a section of class A that comes thru a wall thimble. Next is a class A tee, then a vertical class A run of ~ 21' encased in an insulated chase with the top 3' exposed. In this set up my tel-tru flue themometer is in the horizontal adjustable length section of connector pipe, about 16" from the back of the stove. This one runs 400-500F flue temps at cruise.

Thanks. You are seeing higher temps in the flue with the same stove when the flue gases are slowed down by a 90deg turn. That seems logical and may help explain why my temps are so consistently reasonable with a straight-up pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.