Condar thermometers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heffergm

Nov 24, 2009
South Shore, MA
I've got two of these things. One reads 50F high, the other 100F high, as measured by putting them on a baking sheet in the electric oven. It would me nice of they were remotely close, either to one another or to the actual stove temp.

I can see why they'd err on the side of reading high, but 100F? That's ridiculous. Is there something going on that I'm missing, or are these things just awful?

Welcome to the party. Crack open a beer and we'll share the same dilemma. Condar is supposed to be getting back to me Monday to explain what my results are.

The post that Peter references will explain what I've found.

pen

First thing you did wrong was to put them in the oven. While they should both read the same temp, it is totally wrong to think that they would indicate the temp that you set your oven for. These are not oven thermometers, they are surface temp meters and must have room temp air above them to work right. 50 degrees between the two is pretty close considering the somewhat course measuring device they are.

Please post the Condar reply on a separate thread with "Reply from Condar" in the title. It'll be a lot easier for those of us who are interested to find it.

Highbeam said:
First thing you did wrong was to put them in the oven. While they should both read the same temp, it is totally wrong to think that they would indicate the temp that you set your oven for. These are not oven thermometers, they are surface temp meters and must have room temp air above them to work right. 50 degrees between the two is pretty close considering the somewhat course measuring device they are.

Like I said, tell me if I did something wrong. Which apparently I did with the oven test. Fair enough, I'll take them at more or less face value (although the fact that one that reads 50F at room temp and the other 100F seems a bit conspicuous.)

Status
Not open for further replies.