Condar vs Rutland test

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

potter

Feeling the Heat
Aug 8, 2008
western NY
I thought I'd start a new thread to compress an earlier one. I tested these two after getting different readings. I also had exchanged the Rutland for another, it's behavior was the same as the first. I put them both in an electric kiln which is computer driven, so has a digital thermometer.
At 500*-
Condar- 540*
Rutland-450*

At 600*
Condar- 640*
Rutland- 525*

I still may buy an IR gun because I'm a little obsessive. The Rutland seems like more of a problem to me- as in when pushing the top end 75* might start to be a real difference.

Are these surface mount type thermos? or probes? I too would rather have a conservative meter. I've had my stove to 550 per my rutland and the redline is 600 so I may have overfired it!

I have a Rutland and an IR thermometer. I'm surprised by how "equal" they read to one another. Far more surprised how much variation I can observe across the top of the stove in the Heritage. I'll post a pic tonight of the exact spot where the Rutland lives (rear edge of front, center stone - if I used the top exit, it would almost be up against the pipe). The IR spot on that same location reads very close to the Rutland. 2" southwest or southeast, and i can lose 100+ degrees.

But all in all, I'd guess the Rutland is more accurate than I originally suspected it wasn't.

Your kiln could be reading a "furnace thermocouple (TC)" in a specific location, as opposed to the spot where these thermometers were perched?

I bought a nice IR thermometer to check some things around my house just last week. I found out right away that my Rutland is 100 degrees higher than reality from 400-600 degrees. When the stove is 300 (by the IR thermometer), the Rutland reads 400, when the IR says 400, the Rutland says 500. I'm sure glad I checked, because it will dramatically affect how I run my stove now that I know. I took evasive action twice already fearing an overfire as my stove approached 700 degrees. Now I know it was only around 600 and I had nothing to worry about.

I also found out that my toaster oven is about 50-75 degrees low, but my big oven is spot-on... The thermometer is going to more than pay for itself very quickly. The next time my kids have a fever, taking their temperature is going to be a snap (just take a under-the-tongue temp!).

Highbeam said:
Are these surface mount type thermos? or probes? I too would rather have a conservative meter. I've had my stove to 550 per my rutland and the redline is 600 so I may have overfired it!

These are the basic hardware store/ stove shop stove top thermometers bi-metal.

Edthedawg said:
I have a Rutland and an IR thermometer. I'm surprised by how "equal" they read to one another. Far more surprised how much variation I can observe across the top of the stove in the Heritage. I'll post a pic tonight of the exact spot where the Rutland lives (rear edge of front, center stone - if I used the top exit, it would almost be up against the pipe). The IR spot on that same location reads very close to the Rutland. 2" southwest or southeast, and i can lose 100+ degrees.

But all in all, I'd guess the Rutland is more accurate than I originally suspected it wasn't.

Your kiln could be reading a "furnace thermocouple (TC)" in a specific location, as opposed to the spot where these thermometers were perched?

It is a thermocouple and I placed them on a shelf nearly touching the end of the sensor.

From reading several other threads and testing my own Rutland thermometer, it seems that most tend to read 100 degrees F too high. I was freaking out a little a while back when I thought my stove was getting too hot. I now realize it was no big deal, and I have an IR thermometer for more accurate measurements now.

Any other pseudo Luddites around that JUST HEAT WITH WOOD !!!!! Am I alone in the universe ?

Gee dude, what else will that IR thingie do ? Boy oh boy, you could run around the mall checking body temps....dude. "Hey you with the nose rings, do you know you're 96.3 F " ?

downeast said:
Any other pseudo Luddites around that JUST HEAT WITH WOOD !!!!! Am I alone in the universe ?

Gee dude, what else will that IR thingie do ? Boy oh boy, you could run around the mall checking body temps....dude. "Hey you with the nose rings, do you know you're 96.3 F " ?

I'm new to heating with an EPA era stove. I like the idea of maximizing the efficiency of my burning. I like the idea of dumping as little smoke out of the chimney as possible. I like the idea of not overfiring and damaging this expensive purchase (stove). I don't own an IR gun , but might buy one because a combination of general curiosity and liking doing things right, and just, fun. So, like most things in life, it all comes down to personal preference and interest. Have a nice day.

potter said:
downeast said:

Have a nice day.

Hey dude. As a curmugeon, please, do not tell me what to do with my time, Dude. %-P :zip:

Well, I knew the jig was up this summer when the rutland read 120 on a cold idle stove.

All I can say is that 'Hubby' has a pretty darn expensive IR thermometer and when he shoots it right next to the surface that the Rutland is on......they are pretty close in readings.

brooktrout said:
Well, I knew the jig was up this summer when the rutland read 120 on a cold idle stove.

You need to air condition that house. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.