Condensation Around Forced Air Furnace Vents (from not using it and burning wood)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkinNC

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2010
Leicester, NC
My wife noticed we have what looks like water damage/stains around a couple of furnace vents in the ceiling. They are at separate ends of the house. Our furnace is a heat pump and we are not using it in the winter. It is up in our attic so the duct work is up in the attic as well. We are postulating that condensation is occurring in the vents and then dripping down.

Does anyone have any insight on this? We do run humidifiers in the kids bedrooms at night and in the room the stove is in. I have a cheap humidity gauge and try to keep the humidity around 45%. Thanks in advance!

Hey Mark

Here's the cause of it: the warm/moist air from your house is going up into the vents and cooling down. This in turn forces it to condense on the inner/outer layer of the duct. It then works it's way down and creates wet spots on the ceiling.

I had the same thing happen to me 2 years ago. MY air exchanger was not installed but the duct work was. So I stuff the vent with insulation (temp solution) and closed the vents as tight as possible.

Hope it helps!

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.