Condensation from new stove???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilDeez406

Dec 4, 2012
I had a new Heatilator WS22 installed back in June. It has a fresh air intake that goes down into a closed crawl space then out the side of the brick foundation and has a rodent guard on it. Lately I've noticed that the glass on the stove is full of condensation, and several times I have noticed the grout on the tile floor is wet. Sometimes it is standing water wet. Also during a couple of heave downpours Ive noticed standing water on my ash lip. Does anybody else have similar problems in the off season?? Thanks for the help in advance.

Sounds like you need to : check flashing/ sealant of flue pipe below the storm collar, a different cap that prevents direct wind flow across the top of the flue pipe can due wonders for wind driven rain, added benefit is it evens out your draft in windy conditions.

I had a small flashing/ problem on my current system when first installed. Plug the fresh intake for the off season and see if that resolves what you are considering as condensation.

Definitely check out the chimney topside. It sounds like there is a leak. Post some pics of the chimney and we can see if we spot anything awry.

The install company came out this week and said they didn't find any leaks. They resealed everything just to be sure. I'm thinking it has to be from condensation from the fresh air intake. The temp outside is 95 with very high humidity, and it's 70 inside the house. I will plug the fresh air intake to see if that helps.

That is a lot of moisture, but with high humidity and AC going it could be, especially if there is negative pressure in the house. Cover it with a plastic bag using a rubber band to hold it in place.

I have no affiliation with this company, other than being a very happy customer, but these things really do the trick keeping safes, stoves, and crates dry: http://www.drirod.com/

That said, I have trouble believing the problem you describe is condensation. Sure sounds like a leak! Just because it wasn't found, doesn't mean it's not there. Might be time for more thorough detective work.

Status
Not open for further replies.