Condensation Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muleman51

Feb 18, 2008
SE Minnesota
I finally drained my boiler and storage. I was going to refill it, but then thought about condensation issues. If it was just the boiler and system probably less than 20 gallons I wouldn't have wondered that water would come up to ambient temp quite rapidly. But I have 1000 gallon storage and I'm afraid that will sweat for a long time.I have know intentions of starting a fire now, as it is over 90 today and supposed to be all week. I was going to refill with some TSP in the water to clean it out then drain and refill with fresh water and some sort of conditioner. Not sure what I will use for conditioner. Do you think there will be issues with that much condensation? I have my own well so the water is cold.

I'd bet it shouldn't be more than a few days and your tank temps will be up to room temp. You will get a lot of condensation during that time but I'd rather have the tanks full for the summer (with treatment) to keep the insides from rusting more than necessary. Just my two cents...do you have insulation wrapped around the tank(s)? If so you may want to consider pulling it away until your temps even out....

I don't really know about the condensation. I do know that my tanks "sweated" for several days but at the time they were uninsulated. I would take some sort of container (even a ice cold pop can) and wrap it with the amount of insulation that you have and check to see if it gets wet. My gut feeling is that the insulation will work both ways - meaning that you will be insulating the "cold" water from air so it should just slowly warm up just like it slowly looses its heat. Kinda like a good quality thermos with cold drink in it.

If you're planning on leaving the boiler and storage tank empty for the summer if you don't immediately refill it I would be more concerned with it corroding on the inside of the tank and boiler all summer than a sweaty outside for a few days. I would be inclined to refill the system, purge the air out and put boiler treatment chemicals in the water and be ready to roll come heating season. If you put an oscillating fan on it while it's coming up to ambient temp it will warm up a lot faster and help dry off the surface faster. There must be hundreds of posts on various threads here with discussions of boiler treatment chemicals.
Check the recent posts by Jebatty. I don't remember which thread but it was in the last couple weeks. Others posting there too about boiler chemicals. Wood Boiler Solutions was his reference. I think...

Keep the interior protected. Don't sweat the outside. (couldn't resist)

I should have mentioned that the tank is enclosed and packed with chopped fiberglass. So there would be know way to open it up to either help it dry out or warm up faster. I wouldn't want it to turn into a soppy mess.

Are you refilling the tank and boiler? If also the boiler, I would be concerned about condensation inside the boiler firebox, now surrounded by cold water, where there is a layer of creosote (+ condensation = acid). I drained, filled and treated my system (including 1000 gal storage tank) about a month ago, and I fired the boiler to bring the tank and boiler above air temp. Can you just circulate between the boiler and tank? Bring the tank, say, up to 100F? That shouldn't heat anything else very much, and then let it cool to air temp. I too agree that you should not leave your tank and/or boiler and/or system empty. Besides, might you also be adding some water treatment chemicals to your system? Good circulation of those through your entire system at warmer temps would be desirable.

the tank is enclosed and packed with chopped fiberglass

I'm with Jim, then. He's been there recently and done it. Short fire to bring it up to warm and circulate those chemicals.

Status
Not open for further replies.