condensation on cap issues?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

damien

Woodlove
Jan 13, 2006
SE Misouri
We just installed a Pacific Energy insert into an existing masonry fireplace w/ a 6" liner attatched to it wrapped. The cap I have on top is a Gelco stainless. The question I have is how do I keep water droplets from forming on the underside of the cap and dripping onto the crown and staining it brown? The liner is ovalized to 4.5" at the top. It's also insulated w/ .5" of wrap.

One of two things-

1- remove the cap

2- move to a super warm climate where condensation wont form.

Seriously, other than running your stove "super hot" theres not much you can do, except hope it washes away during the summer. (it usually does to some extent)

Thanks Micheal628, I don't want to remove the cap so rain can get in the liner. What about fastening a small cone shape upside down made of thin stainless to the inside bottom of the cap so whatever condensation that forms runs back into the liner? I know this isnt a new concept but they dont have them for oval flues. Any comments?

I have never seen a cap like the one you discribed. I assumed you were talking about traditional caps for masonry chimneys in you first post. Most pipe caps have the drip plates under them, but with wind etc, the mess still seems to manage to get by that from what I have seen. Also, I wouldnt think one would want condensation and creosote being directed back down into the flue

Status
Not open for further replies.