condensation with pellet stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sscomo

Nov 15, 2010
central mo
I am installing pellet stove pipe into a masonry chimney that has clay liner......

Does condensation form inside the pellet stove pipe or is it between the double wall or is it on the outside of the pipe itself?

I was concerned that if the condensation forms on the inside of the pipe it will collect at the bottom of the pipe run and could run back into the stove itself.

I had planned on usind a 90degree piece of pipe rather than a Tee, as the Tee portion of pipe willl not be too easily accesible for cleaning. I will move the stove and clean it through the 90degree piece.

why not use Dura Flex? I have not had a problem in any iunstall with flex.

Eric

I am no professional but if you are running ridged pellet pipe inside the flue you shouldn't have a problem. I believe the pipe installation says to use 4" pipe instead of 3" pipe if your distance is over 15' high. If you are concerned about condensation then use a T so the water will pool up at the bottom of the T instead of your stove. My understanding is that condensation starts when you exhaust into a larger pipe than what is recommended because the exhaust cools too quickly.

Has anyone here had problems with condensation?

i picked up a tee earlier today.........had the same thoughts that if there was condensation it would pool up in the lower cap.

the total length of my pipe was under 15 vertical feet.....my owners manual stated that 1 vertical foot= .5 foot towards the total length

i would of used flex but everything i read said to use rigid if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.