Condensation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

THEMAN

Oct 22, 2009
CENTRAL CA
Tonight as I was lighting the kindling in the insert I noticed droplets hanging from the bolts on the Cat combustor and along the air wash. I know I haven't burnt any wet wood but thought perhaps one got by and it is sap/creosote. When I touched it, it was water, not sticky at all. This is the first time that I have noticed this and being a new burner I don't know it this is common with fireplace inserts, I cant imagine that it would be but, who knows.

Assuming that it was a cold stove, I'm guessing you either had some cold air downdrafting the chimney or entering through the OAK. There is always some humidity created when burning and it will condense on cold surfaces.

My interior chimney draws all the time, even when there is no fire so the OAK then also draws constantly. This results in condensation and even frost forming on my stove. I had to add a positive shutoff to my OAK to stop that from happening.

It also meant my glass gets condensation when starting a fire if I didn't keep the door ajar long enough for the fire to warm the glass. By switching to Super Cedars and doing a front-back start, I no longer have the dirty glass issue.

LLigetfa said:
Assuming that it was a cold stove, I'm guessing you either had some cold air downdrafting the chimney or entering through the OAK. There is always some humidity created when burning and it will condense on cold surfaces.

My interior chimney draws all the time, even when there is no fire so the OAK then also draws constantly. This results in condensation and even frost forming on my stove. I had to add a positive shutoff to my OAK to stop that from happening.

It also meant my glass gets condensation when starting a fire if I didn't keep the door ajar long enough for the fire to warm the glass. By switching to Super Cedars and doing a front-back start, I no longer have the dirty glass issue.

Wow frost even. Well then I suppose I shouldn't worry about the measly water droplets haha. Once the fire got going the droplets evaporated and left no visible residue. I'll check again tonight when I start it to see if it happens again. Maybe it was always there and I just noticed it last night. We will see.

LLigetfa said:

Is that one of those new geo-thermal wood stoves..

Status
Not open for further replies.