condesation in the hopper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike in ct

Sep 18, 2008
nw ct
newbie question here. i just bought 1/2 ton of "fireside ultra" premium pellets at home depot yesterday. while loading on cart i noticed bags were a bit wet. we had frost the previous night so i assumed they were just brought in from outside and frost was melting. got them home, dropped a bag in the hopper and got a fire going. no problem. woke up this morning and took a look in the hopper and up near the top there is condensation accumulated all along lip? i am new to this but i know that's not good. also i noticed bag had alot of sawdust in it. after doing a search here i did find you really have to clean them before you burn them. is that about correct? or does the brand have more to do with the quality ? anyway i was concerned about whether or not i got a wet batch of pellets or is this normal to some degree?

I purchased a few bags of those a few weeks back and they burned fine with no condensation in my hopper.

The condensation probably came from the pellets being cold (from being outside) and bringing them inside and putting them right in the stove. Had a customer complaint of moisture in the hopper last year, and that is what it turned out to be.

Toss a handfull in a microwave safe dish, cover with saran, and nuke for 10-20 seconds. Should be no noticeable condensation, if there is the pellets are wet and should be returned for credit as damaged goods.

Status
Not open for further replies.