Condition of fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dainius56

Nov 1, 2023
USA, TX
Good morning hearth. First time posting and looking for information if possible.

Just had our first chimney sweep/inspection done on a new to us home built 60 years ago. I had a feeling it needed one before lighting the first fire and now come to more expert opinions on the condition of it and if an insert with vented liner is in fact needed.

Cost is roughly 5k for a new gas insert including labor. Inspector mentioned cracks and missing mortar in locations, especially along the damper, and a few cracks through the clay tile higher up.

I am no expert but he did state he does not recommend burning until resolved. Any opinions from the pics?

Also is this a DIY project and has anyone done so and saved money? Just weighing my options.

Thanks!

It definitely has issues and needs some work. Your options are reline it for use as an open fireplace or install an insert either wood or gas with appropriate liners for those. A gas insert will probably be the cheapest option

Last edited:
Thank you for the response. Can you clarify on your statement of refining it for an open fireplace to make sure I am understanding you correctly? As it stands now there is no insert and it is literally bricks and mortar. Gas insert is cheaper by approximately $1000.00.
Thanks!

Thank you for the response. Can you clarify on your statement of refining it for an open fireplace to make sure I am understanding you correctly? As it stands now there is no insert and it is literally bricks and mortar. Gas insert is cheaper by approximately $1000.00.
Thanks!
I meant reline it auto corrected to refine. Your clay liners are cracked and the joints are bad so that liner is no longer good to use.

Ah I see TY. Per my conversation with them an insert would not be much more expensive and would last longer.
A wood insert will be slightly more than fixing it for an open fireplace. I would never say an insert would last longer it may or may not. But it will actually produce heat. An open fireplace will not

Reactions: Dainius56