Condo fireplace extraction replacement help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dynanmb

May 6, 2015
MN
Hello All,

I'm looking into buying this condo and remodeling it, but the fireplace takes up too much space and obstructs the views; there is a 4 season porch behind fireplace and this layout looks funky. Can I completely remove this or replace it with a gel see thru large glass panel replacement insert? The condo is on the second floor and it is lowrise building - 3 stories.

I would like to just completely remove it but I'm guessing a vent or air duct is running through all three units to exhaust the smoke. I've attached a photo to show you my predicament. I'd love unobstructed views and remove the doors to the porch and open of the floor plan.

Otherwise could I do something like shown in the photos I posted below to improve the transparency while providing support and exhust?
View attachment 157798View attachment 157799

Thanks a lot for the advice and sharing your expertise in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Moved thread to main forum for fireplace discussion.

This should be a dedicated chimney for this fireplace alone. Replacement might be an option, especially if you stick with a brand that has identical chimney requirements. Removal is another option, but it will need to be done right and sealed above correctly so that there are no leaks in the future.

Is this a gas or wood unit? Replacing it with a contemporary gas see-thru could have a dramatic effect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.