Condor prob off by 350F !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pallet Pete said:
burnout said:
Pallet Pete said:
Thank you all for the help ! I figured out our draft problem today and fixed it the stove burns fantastic better than I thought possible :) First off the condor is off by about 250F when it is at 800 and above. The flue was not drafting enouph the manual states .05 but I had to go up a pipe now it is .07 and perfect the flue hangs at 700 and hasn't passed 800f at all. The fire is the most beautiful thing I have seen in any stove now it just works perfect and the house is very warm now. Buy the way I checked it with a magnahelic gauge to be sure.

Pete

Hey Pete, I am assuming that the .05 and .07 are D/P readings, is this correct? Is that inches of water, and how did you get your Magnahelic to connect to the stove? I would like to take some readings on my stove as well. Also, how long was the pipe you added?

One last question for the group: Can you put a thermometer into a double walled pipe? Just drill through the side into it?

Sorry for all the questions.

Glad to see you up and running well!

You will have to insert it right above the collar on the stove through the pipe which means convincing yourself it is worth drilling through your double wall. In our case we have had draft issues before so I figured what the heck why not it saves much time and money in the long run if it works. Do not leave the probe in the pipe to long while it is burning or it could harm the probe and be sure to do the test when the pipe and stove are heated to the your normal running temps. Yes they are inches of water readings your manual should tell you what it should be at for your stove if not call the manufacturer first. As for the thermometer you have to drill to different sizes for the condor outer hole is larger than the inner then a eyelet and a magnet insert in and cover the holes to prevent smoke leakage. I am sorry I do not remember the sizes right now!

Good Luck
Pete

The pipe was 3ft. Sorry missed that question! Keep in mind every setup is different so yours most likely will be different than mine elevation, surrounding buildings and trees all play a role.

Pete

Pallet Pete said:
You will have to insert it right above the collar on the stove through the pipe which means convincing yourself it is worth drilling through your double wall. In our case we have had draft issues before so I figured what the heck why not it saves much time and money in the long run if it works. Do not leave the probe in the pipe to long while it is burning or it could harm the probe and be sure to do the test when the pipe and stove are heated to the your normal running temps. Yes they are inches of water readings your manual should tell you what it should be at for your stove if not call the manufacturer first. As for the thermometer you have to drill to different sizes for the condor outer hole is larger than the inner then a eyelet and a magnet insert in and cover the holes to prevent smoke leakage. I am sorry I do not remember the sizes right now!

Good Luck
Pete

My stove has the oval to round adapter for VC stoves which is single wall. I am wondering if I could use something else like the air hole in the ash pan or the one in the back of the stove instead of drilling. If memory serves me correct, Pascal said something about pressure being felt equally and undiminished throughout a closed vessel. Also, the pressure drop from the difference in height could be corrected with a longer hose and holding it up a bit to the level of the flue. Does anyone see any flaws in this logic?

You are right, I am having a hard time drilling into my pipe, hehe.

P.S. And thanks for the pipe height.

Status
Not open for further replies.