Condor probe dead on with single wall !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
Just kidding!

Had I bothered to read here prior to buying one, i wouldn't have trusted the guy at the stove store.

"We install them on single wall all the time, works great."

Install on my stove, Rutland says 300, condor says 1000.. I think, holy chit have I been running my flu too hard all this time!?!

Search hearth.. Find answer.

So, a real question, how do I seal the hole in the stove pipe?

Not sure I see what the problem is. The temperature of flue gasses is going to be a lot higher than the surface temp of the pipe. What you are seeing sounds normal.

To answer your question - Get a stainless sheet metal screw matching the size of the hole at the hardware store.

Put a sheet metal screw in the hole or you could pull the probe out about an inch and it will read a little more accurate.

Not sure I see what the problem is. The temperature of flue gasses is going to be a lot higher than the surface temp of the pipe. What you are seeing sounds normal.

No, it's not normal. The gauge reports internal flue temps and those temps are not 1000 when the surface is only 300. The relationship between surface temps and flue temps is not linear but as a general rule, a 300 degree surface temp on single wall corresponds with a 600 degree internal temp or in other words double the surface temp for internal temps. Class A is rated for certain max internal temps which are easily attainable with modern non-cat stoves so it is wise to monitor internal temps.

The best option for single wall guys is to measure the surface. It would be cool if condar released a probe meter designed to report single wall internal temps.

Reactions: Ashful
No, it's not normal. The gauge reports internal flue temps and those temps are not 1000 when the surface is only 300. The relationship between surface temps and flue temps is not linear but as a general rule, a 300 degree surface temp on single wall corresponds with a 600 degree internal temp or in other words double the surface temp for internal temps. Class A is rated for certain max internal temps which are easily attainable with modern non-cat stoves so it is wise to monitor internal temps.

The best option for single wall guys is to measure the surface. It would be cool if condar released a probe meter designed to report single wall internal temps.

Oh sure, thats all I was saying - the gasses are much higher than the pipe. Not that those numbers where exact to 5 degrees... or even 50.

We have all seen the pictures of 2 or 3 bimetallic coil thermometers next to each other being 50, 100 degrees or more off. I could imagine the rutland reading 100F low and the condar 100 high and there you go, nearly 2 to 1 ;)

Reactions: Ashful
Oh sure, thats all I was saying - the gasses are much higher than the pipe. Not that those numbers where exact to 5 degrees... or even 50.

We have all seen the pictures of 2 or 3 bimetallic coil thermometers next to each other being 50, 100 degrees or more off. I could imagine the rutland reading 100F low and the condar 100 high and there you go, nearly 2 to 1 ;)

I suppose so. We do what we can. I would regularly exceeded 1200 with the non-cat but now that I burn a much larger cat stove it is a real struiggle to even get up to 600 in the flue. I watch my condar a lot.

Last edited:
Those nice low flue temps mean you are getting lots of heat into the home instead of up the chimney...your cat is burning the gases nice and slowly.

400-600f is what I see in the T6.

I'd like to see Condar calibrate one for single wall as well. I don't think it's that difficult, just pull the dial face away a bit and protect the coil from the radiant heat generating from the pipe. I found about 1" was pretty accurate.

Reactions: Woody Stover
You guys got my attention now... so the probe doesn't work on single wall because the surface temp of the pipe heats the coil directly?

You guys got my attention now... so the probe doesn't work on single wall because the surface temp of the pipe heats the coil directly?

Yes, There's been lots of testing done here by members and we have found that coil is easily effected by direct radiant heat and it causes a higher than normal reading. It can still be used as a valuable guide but you need to block out those color coded burn zones.

If your looking for the most accurate thermometer install a thermocouple type probe.

I'd like to see Condar calibrate one for single wall as well. I don't think it's that difficult, just pull the dial face away a bit and protect the coil from the radiant heat generating from the pipe. I found about 1" was pretty accurate.

I used to want that too thinking I'd get quicker response than a magnetic type, but the magnetic stove pipe condar I picked up starts reading just as quickly as my probe.

To the OP: The probe can still be used on the single wall, it will read consistently albeit high so the "redline" will be off. Just mark your own if you want to keep it for something to look at.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.