condor stove top thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireNewbie

Feb 16, 2010
Michigan
I just got the thermometer today and have been experimenting with it. Can anyone advise to what temps I should get the stove up to before closing down the air? Should I gradually close the air to get a secondary burn, or should I rapidly close it to get a immediate secondary with flame up. I hope everyone understands what I am trying to ask. Yes, I know the thermo has colored bars but I am looking for recommended temps if possible Thanks.

The Condor is a very rare bird. I presume what you bought was a Condar. Where are you placing it?

Your going to have to experiment to see what works best for your set up. Most people burn the stove with full air for about 10-20 minutes then make small adjustments down to lower air settings. Different loads and wood will react differently.

LLigetfa said:
The Condor is a very rare bird...

:)

I guess when it takes off, it's hot enough?!

HaHa on the bird! Have it centered on the stovetop.

FireNewbie said:
I just got the thermometer today and have been experimenting with it. Can anyone advise to what temps I should get the stove up to before closing down the air? Should I gradually close the air to get a secondary burn, or should I rapidly close it to get a immediate secondary with flame up. I hope everyone understands what I am trying to ask. Yes, I know the thermo has colored bars but I am looking for recommended temps if possible Thanks.

Temps . . . depends on your stove and set up. In my own case the stove top temp tends to be around 450-550 when I start closing off the air . . . and generally I will close it off in quarter increments . . . waiting 5 minutes or so after each time I have turned down the air to make sure the fire doesn't get snuffed out . . . usually with very good wood I can turn down the air all the while after a few minutes and get some nice secondary burns . . . and great to see you have a great attitude about the "condor" . . . a frequent spelling mistake.

Ja, like FFJ said. How quickly you turn it down depends on how much coal base it has, what the wood is like, and what the temp is up to. Closing it down quickly will force the secondaries to flare but if the coal base or wood does not sustain it, it will quickly die back.

LLigetfa said:
Ja, like FFJ said. How quickly you turn it down depends on how much coal base it has, what the wood is like, and what the temp is up to. Closing it down quickly will force the secondaries to flare but if the coal base or wood does not sustain it, it will quickly die back.
What happens to the air from the secondaries when the secondaries aren't flaring? Thanks.

Thanks everyone. I am happy with the stove but I am just trying to burn efficient and get longer burn times since this is my first stove. The advice is greatly appreciated, I have found some great info on this site. I let it get up to around 600 deg or so with a hot cool bed then back down the air in 1/3 increments to get the secondaries. Could I just be spinning my wheels trying to get 8 hour actual burn times out of this 1.6 cu ft stove?

BLIMP said:
What happens to the air from the secondaries when the secondaries aren't flaring? Thanks.
Some of it supports primary combustion and the rest goes up the flue.

FireNewbie said:
Could I just be spinning my wheels trying to get 8 hour actual burn times out of this 1.6 cu ft stove?
I think 8 hours from such a small stove is dreaming.

Yeah, I'm afraid your right... Been getting bout 4hrs out if it now with 3 medium sized splits. Maybee split em down to 3 inch and fit a few more in there. Would this help?

Guess the manufactures have a way to manipulate the numbers. According to the manual its supposeds to get 8 hr actual and 10 hrs of heat output.

FireNewbie said:
Guess the manufactures have a way to manipulate the numbers. According to the manual its supposeds to get 8 hr actual and 10 hrs of heat output.

Oh they might actually achieve these numbers . . . but they may also be packing the firebox to the gills with perfectly square, perfectly seasoned hardwood of the best BTU caliber and doing this in a lab where the exterior conditions (i.e. temps, winds) are not a factor . . . not to mention that they probably have figured out the optimum height for the flue and . . . well you see where I am going with this I assume . . . and I think, we the buyers, are guilty of never thinking to ask the real question when we buy a stove . . . the question being "How do they define these numbers?"

In other words, we look at the numbers and think, "Geez. That's great" but we never think to ask ourselves as to what the manufacturer means by 8 hours of burning . . . is this the time from when the fire is lit to when the fire no longer burning, or the time when the fire is lit to when the fire no longer has visible flames, or the the time when the stove top temp reaches X degrees to when it falls to Y degrees . . . you see I would (now) define burn time by the time my stove reaches a temp of meaningful heat to the point when the heat is no longer meaningful (generally around 300 or so degrees as measured on the stove top) . . . however, another member here might feel that the burn time should be defined from the time the stove reaches a higher degree set point . . . perhaps when the stove is hot enough for secondary combustion or for the cat to kick in . . .

Don't expect the dealer to know these answers either. Your best bet is to come to a place like this and ask if anyone has a similar stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.