Confirm my 3/ 2-10 chimney interpretation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PJF1313

Oct 25, 2009
Pine Barrons, L.I., NY
The new Class-A will be about 18" -2" from the ridge, and about 6 -1/2' from the existing masonry chimney( flue for oil heat (h/w) + DHW) , which is about 4' above the ridge.

Am I correct that it has to be above the existing chimney (cap) by at least 2'?

So, that means that I will need at minimum of 6' of Class-A above the roof line; it will probably be more between the support box, attic and roof penetration, to the top.

Also - be forewarned - they WILL be a "what stove do I need/should get/ to make the DW happy" thread in the future... I'm just trying to get all the ducks in a row before shelling out a few grand and new stove and set-up.

Thanks in advance,
P.J.

EDIT : I don't know if it matters - the roof pitch is 8-in-12. It was installed in September of 2009 over 3/4" CDX ply.

The new flue needs to terminate 2' above the nearest roofline (not chimney). In this case is sounds like that is the ridge. I don't think there is a conflict with the masonry flue 6.5' away.

To clarify the previous response, the top of the flue must terminate at least 2' above any roof surface/structure within a 10' horizontal radius from the top of the flue. That could be a ridge, or a roof slope, a nearby roof dormer, etc.
At the point it exits the roof, the chimney must be at least 3' to top of flue from the upslope roof side of the chimney.
Keep in mind too that your overall flue from stove exit to top should generally be at least 15' for good draft. This may cause a flue/chimney to be extended taller that the limits described above.

Status
Not open for further replies.