Conflicting advice... Jotul, Harman, PE... Fireplace installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NewEnglandr

Oct 4, 2014
NH
So.... I moved last spring and brought my old stove with me, an old Jotul 8. I was told by the person who I had look at it to do some repairs that it is well past its useful lifespan and needs to be euthanized (ie: it would cost more to fix than it's worth...)

So I am unhappily in the position of needing to buy a new stove. The house I bought has a stove in place, but it is a Jotul f100 and way too small (and there is no way I am going to buy 12" cordwood.)

The house is a ranch (single story) about 1700 sq. ft. but spread out so that it will not be easy to heat the bedrooms with the stove. I know I will still be burning oil, but want the stove to do a good share of the work heating this home. It will be placed at an existing fireplace, but for several reasons I've decided to go with a free-standing stove rather than an insert (feel free to change my mind on that.)

The repair guy did give me some advice: Get either a Jotul 500 Oslo or go with a Pacific Energy. He spoke very highly of the PEs, calling them bombproof (as in he never gets called to repair them.)

Well... after visiting several dealers (one of which told me point-blank that I have to use an insert if there is an existing fireplace, due to clearances etc), I pretty much decided on the PE Super 27. When I went back to the PE dealer he told me that I couldn't install that in a fireplace since it has only a top flue and would be too difficult to install and that I had to go with a cast iron stove or with an insert (the other guy at the same store told me completely different information!) Oh and by the way, they can't possibly deliver it till at least January (he was definitely not trying very hard to sell me a stove!)

Is this true? I like the PE for its simplicity, price, and good reviews.

Now I've looked at two more dealers and am impressed with what I've read about the Harmans (do they really get 17 hr burn times??? Is that even possible?) The repair guy is pushing the Jotul...

So here are my questions: Should I really not put a steel stove in a fireplace installation?
Harman vs. Jotul....The Jotul has side loading, but the Harman also has a top load feature.

Many thanks for any input!

I would not ever buy a harman personally actually i wouldn't even install one given to me

I don't see why you couldn't put a steel stove in a fireplace. Do you have any pics of the fireplace and any dimensions? There very well could be other options or even concerns you should address.

If you have enough hearth/room I would install a free stander way before a insert.

Freestander in a fireplace is totally dependent on the measurements of the stove and fireplace.

I don't see why you couldn't put a steel stove in a fireplace. Do you have any pics of the fireplace and any dimensions? There very well could be other options or even concerns you should address.
OK. I'll try to post a couple of pics of the current stove in place so you can see the situation. Obviously I will need some sort of hearth extender.
The dimensions of the opening are: 34" high X 46" wide. I expect I will need some sort of heat shield for the bottom of the mantle also.
Thank you!

Attachments

• DSC_0064.JPG
    DSC_0064.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_2068.JPG
    IMG_2068.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 238
The F100 is 22" high. Looks like plenty of headroom for a larger stove. I hear rumors that somebody here put a big steel stove in a fireplace. ==c

30 first fire.jpg

Looking at that fireplace, I defy those shops to come up with a insert shallow enough to put in there.

They haven't looked at that fireplace I would venture to guess. You use one of these to tie it to that flex liner that you either already have or for sure plan to install.

elbow.jpg

OK. I'll try to post a couple of pics of the current stove in place so you can see the situation. Obviously I will need some sort of hearth extender.
The dimensions of the opening are: 34" high X 46" wide. I expect I will need some sort of heat shield for the bottom of the mantle also.
Thank you!

Extend out the hearth and that's a perfect setup for a free stander. You will need a block off plate of course.
That's a odd looking flue pipe coming off the stove though..maybe it's just the pic I dunno.

Shoot a measurement of how tall the lintel at the front top of that fireplace is from the fireplace floor.

I think this is a PE T-5. A steel stove in a cast iron dress. Top flue exit.

e925b2718056b151666e221b7ce1ef30.jpg

It is indeed an odd oval pipe, sized to go through the existing masonry flue. It attaches to a (round) liner a bit further up, but I couldn't get my camera up there.

Attachments

• DSC_0064 (3).JPG
    DSC_0064 (3).JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC_0067.JPG
    DSC_0067.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 198
Shoot a measurement of how tall the lintel at the front top of that fireplace is from the fireplace floor.
If by Lintel you mean the lowest wooden part, it is 42.25" above the floor. And the fireplace is 19" deep, so probably deep enough for an insert. If I want one.

It is indeed an odd oval pipe, sized to go through the existing masonry flue. It attaches to a (round) liner a bit further up, but I couldn't get my camera up there.

Wow,you might need to do some destruction in that area. Pretty sure it can be opened up,others on here will know more about that.

Nah. Liner is fine. Lintel is the steel piece across the top front of the fireplace opening that is holding the rock front up.

Nah. Liner is fine. Lintel is the steel piece across the top front of the fireplace opening that is holding the rock front up.
Oh that is the actual liner coming through that area.I get it now. Good deal I guess then.

That stove of mine in the pic is a 3.5 cubic foot firebox in a 31" tall fireplace. 19" of the 28" deep stove is inside the fireplace. Installing something that size in yours could be done in my sleep. Mine was a tad of a challenge.

I'm wondering if the metal curtain angle can be removed to gain another 1.5".

Status
Not open for further replies.