Q&A Confused about buying vented gas logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have an existing wood burning fireplace. Since the fireplace is plumbed for natural gas, we have been recently looking at Gas Logs (18"). The primary use for this fireplace is decoration/looks only. Based on this information we were told that a vented Gas Log would suit us best since it has the most realistic flame. My questions are:
1) Is vented really the way to go?
2) What is the difference in fireplaces, we saw an Emberglow which looked good but it was approximately $150 less expensive. By reviewing product information it had everything that the others did (safety valve, life-time guarantee, etc). How do I know a good one from a bad one?
3) How many burners should I get? from my understanding their is 1,2, or 3 burners. How do I know what to choose?

Answer:

1. If you want the best looks, vented logs will do the job.
2. There are some cheap brands available at discount stores. You will get poor advice, not be able to see the product burning, and not have anyone to help you troubleshoot if something goes wrong. The logs are often detailed and painted poorly.
3. On vented logs, the number of burners does not make a big difference in the looks or performance. Choose a well-known national brand with a decent warranty from a good dealer and you will be very pleased.

Status
Not open for further replies.