Confused about clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My manual for my Englander stove seems to contradict itself.

I've attached picture where I've pieced the conflicting data from the manual into one image.

The chart at the top indicates that, using double wall connectors, the rear of the "appliance" (presumably stove) can be as close as 6 1/2" to the wall (represented by "B").

The bottom left diagram seems to support that.

However, the floor protection chart on the bottom right, indicates I must have 8" floor protection from the rear (and sides).

I'm probably making too much of this, but how can I be 6 1/2" from the back wall and still maintain 8" floor protection. There's not 8" of floor. Does the presence of a wall override the floor protection standard?

Man, I know you guys must be sick of my ridiculous newbie questions. I want to get this done tomorrow, hence the barrage of questions.

Thanks.

Attachments

• manual.jpg
    manual.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 214
You can't protect floor that isn't there. If you have the room, I would go more than 16 in front.

My Endeavor manual shows the same "problem," but then in a little, harder to find footnote, they say that with close connector (aka double wall) pipe, you may have less than 8" clearance on the back side of the floor protection, in which case the floor protection simply must extend to the wall.

Found it:

NOTE: when installed with reduced-clearance connector, the clearance to the backwall may be less
than the floor protection requirement. In this case the floor protection must extend to the wall.

Pagey said:
Found it:

NOTE: when installed with reduced-clearance connector, the clearance to the backwall may be less
than the floor protection requirement. In this case the floor protection must extend to the wall.

So wall trumps floor! That will work perfectly for me then. I've scoured my Englander manual and couldn't find anything to justify the discrepancy.

SolarAndWood said:
You can't protect floor that isn't there. If you have the room, I would go more than 16 in front.

My thoughts exactly. My pad exceeds spec, but the surrounding floor is wood laminate.

I remember thinking the same thing when I looked at my CTC diagrams for the Endeavor. Then you go on a page or two and sort of "hidden" at the top is the NOTE: blah blah. As long as your hearth pad goes to the wall and you obey the CTCs for listed, double wall connector I would assume that your Englander follows the same rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.