Confused about flue heat temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DamienBricka

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have a CFM FW240007 stove. I bought the other day a magnetic thermometer at Lowes to make sure I was burning wood efficiently. I cannot get the reading about 300 degree F. On the other hand my glass on the stove is clear. I have to increase the temperature with no much success. Today it is 0 F out side 70 F inside, Outside flue temperature is around 180 F. The air intake on the stove is completely closed. Am I running the stove right or am I way off. Thanks for the input, Damien

You might be reading celsius by mistake 300c = 572 f 180c = 356f

I just check again to make sure and the temperature is in F

A magnetic temp gauge - sitting on a single or double wall stove pipe? the actual flue temps may be much higher than the gauge reads, if it's a double wall.

I have a CFM FW240007 stove. I bought the other day a magnetic thermometer at Lowes to make sure I was burning wood efficiently. I cannot get the reading about 300 degree F. On the other hand my glass on the stove is clear. I have to increase the temperature with no much success. Today it is 0 F out side 70 F inside, Outside flue temperature is around 180 F. The air intake on the stove is completely closed. Am I running the stove right or am I way off. Thanks for the input, Damien

When you are talking about flue temperatures, we need to know how you are taking the temperatures. Single wall, double wall, how far from stove, etc.? Also, closing the air intake completely is usually not the best. Better to give it some air. Not necessarily a lot but some.

sitting on a single wall stove pipe. Around 200 F now. I read you have to multiple the temperature by 2. Is that about right?

I would think that is a pretty low reading for flue temperature.

I wouldn't think so. you may want to get another gauge. it should read actual temp.

Interior pipe temp is around twice the surface measured temp.

Put the mag thermometer down on the stove top just in front of the step down and see what the stove temp is reading.

I have that stove in my shop. Single-wall stovepipe. Magnetic thermo stuck just above the flue collar. Routinely cruises around 400°F. Early in a burn it can approach 600°F. I don't sweat what the actual flue gas temp might be, or the temp inside the firebox, or on the stovetop. I don't care. I use the mag thermo on my stovepipe as my operating guide. I've learned what's normal.

shopstove.jpg

Last edited:
It glows at around 1,400 surface temp. Don't ask how I know. ;em

A probe pipe thermometer that sticks into the pipe interior is the only way to read actual flue gas temp. 1,000 degree flue temps on startup of fresh loads isn't all that unusual.

Ok BrotherBart. Then what is a good probe pipe thermometer for a single wall pipe stove

You don't need a probe thermometer, just a surface mount with reasonable accuracy that you come to "know" through experience with it. You're just operating a wood stove, not conducting a physics experiment.

Reactions: dyerkutn
fossil is correct. My stove has never had a pipe thermo on it. In 30 years.

Edit to add: Pipe thermos were great back when you couldn't see what was going on in the firebox. That big hunk of glass in the door takes care of that.

Temperature on top of stove is 450F

450 and above is doing just fine. That clean glass and not a bunch of crud on the bricks in the morning tells you that you are burning alright.

Then I am doing alright I will just keep the magnetic thermometer as a reference but will not rely on it yo much. I guess for a newbie I am doing a good job. I want to thank all of you for your wisdom it is helping me build my confidence in wood burning. Thank you

That's what we're here for, my friend. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.