confused. flaky stuff on chimney cap.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cwill

Oct 13, 2010
W. MI
I went on the roof today to check things out since the install about a month ago and did not like what i saw. flaky creosote build-up on the outer part of the cap and it looks like it ran around the joint too. its flaky dry on the outside and smooth black, not sticky, on the inside of the cap. The inner wall of the stack is black but not flaky. very little soot. We have been burning fairly regularly, usually evening's into overnights. We have to leave the door cracked until the wood is well engulfed in flames or it will go out. Once the stove reaches 400-425 i start to close down the air, usually to 3/4 open, then 1/2, then 1/4. with about 10-15 mins in between each. stove will reach about 500-550 but only for a short time( less than an hour). I get secondary's for about 2hrs then its down to coals. total burn time on a full load about 3 1/2 hrs. wood is cherry that has been split and stacked since spring 2009. Moisture meter says 13-15% on every piece i check. I am checking the wood the right way by splitting the splits and checking the fresh side. glass stays clean. it passes the dollar bill test on the door, nice and tight. Not sure if i have a draft problem or an air issue. Stack is new and installed by the book and is the recommended height by the stove manufacturer. about two feet off the peak of the roof so it has clear surroundings. So stove gurus, Help a rookie out. What am I doing wrong?

Sounds like you are well versed which is great.

Did you run a brush down through the chimney? Finding some creosote on the cap is pretty normal as that is the coldest part of the system. So long as the screen isn't plugging I wouldn't be too concerned. I'm curious about the black in the chimney though. Did you run a brush down? Did it come off easily?

W/ what you described I'm amazed you aren't seeing just greyish soot in that pipe. Your temps are a bit low but not bad. Any chance the cleanout isn't sealed properly and letting cold air into this chimney?

pen

Haven't ran a brush down yet. Gotta get one asap. When I ran my hand down the pipe the black didn't come off. No cleanout, just two 45's to gain some depth and straight up. Does the burn time seem about right for a 1.3 cuft stove?

I'd say those times aren't out of line.

Any way you can get pics?

pen

Ill post some tomorrow if i get home before the sun goes down.

Not that I recommend crawling around on the roof in the dark, if you can safely do so, I've found that "down pipe" pics of a chimney come out better when it's low light out.

pen

Pretty common to see the cap with creosote while the chimney is mostly clean. That cap is exposed to the cold air and when the warmer smoke hits it will condense and form creosote. Probably happening at the beginning of the burn before the secondaries kick in. I was up on my roof the other day cleaning out the gutter and went over to check out my chimney and noticed quite a bit of dripping creosote around the cap but there was next to nothing down the hole.

Attachments

• 100_1616.jpg
    100_1616.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 607
  • 100_1617.jpg
    100_1617.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 629
My cap had some creo on it last season yet the pipe was clean.
I think the initial burn when adding a new load & the cap is cold, I get come creosote forming. I just tap on it & most of it fall off.
The cap is the coldest so if that's all you have, you're ok.
If you have one with a screen, keep checking & cleaning it. they get plugged faster than a cap without screen.
So far this year, very little build up on the cap, lots drier wood than in previous years.
DRY wood is just a good thing.

As others said, caps are cold & creo condenses there first. I see a small amount if creo on my cap screen by spring. From
your description it sound like you are well set-up and operating the stove quite well. It may be that your draft isn't the best (having to leave the door cracked after startup) but yhis is still the shoulder season & draft will improve with colder temps.
Any chance you start your fires with newspaper? If so some or most of what you see could be newspaper ash getting sucked up the chimney while the door is cracked and mucking-up your cap.

midwestcoast said:
As others said, caps are cold & creo condenses there first. I see a small amount if creo on my cap screen by spring. From
your description it sound like you are well set-up and operating the stove quite well. It may be that your draft isn't the best (having to leave the door cracked after startup) but yhis is still the shoulder season & draft will improve with colder temps.
Any chance you start your fires with newspaper? If so some or most of what you see could be newspaper ash getting sucked up the chimney while the door is cracked and mucking-up your cap.

I think thats why my cap screen got plugged up last year, this year its kindling and super cedars, I bought a large box, no newspaper, Ill see if that makes a difference.

You'll probably see even more creasote around the cap when the snows come and sit on the roof... makes mine clog much faster. Sounds pretty normal tho.

weatherguy said:
midwestcoast said:

I think thats why my cap screen got plugged up last year, this year its kindling and super cedars, I bought a large box, no newspaper, Ill see if that makes a difference.
In over 30 years I have never seen that happen, use paper all the time.

oldspark said:
weatherguy said:
midwestcoast said:

In over 30 years I have never seen that happen, use paper all the time.

Same here . . . well I mean in the past years I have used newspaper . . . this year I have been going 50-50 with Super Cedars and newspaper . . . come to think of it I never really get much creosote build up on my cap either . . . but as folks have said . . . some do find some build up there.

Not particuarly bad . . . but not particularly good . . . I have a bit less than that . . . after running it for a month or so 24/7. Maybe run 'er a bit warmer?

ya thats what i was gonna say try boosting your temps run a little hotter,not to bad youron it so u have nothing to worry about.

those pics look pretty much on par if you ask me.....nonetheless I clean my flue once every two months just to be sure everything is A-OK, never get more than a handful of black "instant potato" flakes, and black dust....your cap will glaze up more often due to the cold temps where the smoke exits....and if the wind is swirling your smoke around it is common to see the outside of the top of the pipe get blackened a little....it will go away on it's own.....I'd say your are on par with your burns, esp. this time of the year as it hasn't been very cold yet....

Pictures look good. But while I was up there I'd run a brush a few passes.
If that is as bad as it gets, your doing pretty good.
Inspecting every month is still a good thing, weather & other changes may change & being on top of it, is peace of mind. :)

Thanks everyone. I'll keep an eye on it and clean it once a month or so. Wasn't real sure if I had a problem or not. Now that I know this is normal I can breath easier.

Looks fine to me.

I noticied today while working outside that my cap had a bunch of icicles hanging off it. I guess the steam is dripping off the side of the cap and freezing.

Status
Not open for further replies.