Confused.... Low flame height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottfrommn

Feb 15, 2015
Maple Grove, Minnesota
Hey everyone,

First time poster here, need some collective wisdom. I have an Avalon Vashon that worked just fine in the past, however, now it only produces a small amount of flame. Tried attaching pictures but don't have a hosting site to link to.

I have a healthy pilot, but no control when I move the flame height adjustment from high to low or vice versa.

Earlier in the year, I disassembled the gas valve, using every possible caution and attention to detail. I did find quite a bit of black flakes invested in the pilot gas routes. Upon cleaning those and reinstalling, I found no performance improvements.

I have replaced the gas regulator that feeds the fireplace, again with no improvement.

I have not however measured the in / out gas pressure.

Any thoughts about what to do next?

Thanks,
Scott

First of all, what was your reason for disassembling the gas valve?
I was an NFI Certified gas Tech & I'd never attempt that.
Secondly, did you replace ALL the components of the regulator head?
Sounds like you may have missed a spring or a pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.