Confused Newbie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dbeck84

Jan 10, 2010
Central IL
I just bought a house over the summer with a wood-buring fireplace in it. I've never had a fireplace before and don't really know anything about them. I have a few questions and some things I think need to be fixed but first I need to know what exactly I'm dealing with. I've enclosed a few pictures. I believe it's a Majestic from what I"ve looked at on the web. If anyone can identify or clue me in as to where I could find a model number I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Attachments

• HPIM0981e.jpg
    HPIM0981e.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 274
  • HPIM0982e.jpg
    HPIM0982e.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 277
Welcome to the forum, dbeck. A manufacturer plate is normally attached to the back or side of unit. You could try pulling the grills off and use a mirror on a stick with flashlight and see. Get a chimney sweep to inspect FP and chimney prior to burning. I don't know this model but it appears more for ambiance than heat production. You may get some convection currents enter bottom grill, go around stove and exit top grill. There may even be a blower to facilitate that.

There is a blower...which is one of the problems. It's super noisy. The back of the unit is actually in a closet in my garage, so I can go around there and look. Thanks for the info.

dbeck84 said:
The back of the unit is actually in a closet in my garage, so I can go around there and look.

That sounds a bit dodgy.

ooooh that is not good, have a chimney sweep take a look at the set up especially that the back of the unit is in a closet, sounds like a fire waiting to occur. Did you have the house inspected when you bought it and if so what did the inspector say about that set up? House insured? Definitely have it checked out.

The inspection went through fine. The back of the firebox doesn't get hot at all. I've had fires going and it's cool to the touch everywhere in the back.

Here are some pics of the back of the unit if this helps.

Attachments

• HPIM0983e.jpg
    HPIM0983e.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 188
  • HPIM0984e.jpg
    HPIM0984e.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 189
Interesting way to build in a zero clearance unit.
It has essentially max clearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.