Confusing Draft Issue with Cold Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

learnin to burn

Feeling the Heat
Nov 22, 2008
Southeastern, Pa
I'm not sure what's going on but I know I have issues I have been working on solving. I mentioned in an earlier thread about smoke coming into the room when I reload my stove and on start up unless I do a top down fire and the flames gong right up the flue, otherwise the stove runs great.

Blaze King King stove - wall thimble 44 inches on center above the stove - into a 7x7 clay lined masonry chimney - chimney height 20 ft above stove - Flex King liner with insulation to be installed this week. OAK to be installed also.

Past few days have been warm so I haven't been burning. I left the damper open intentionally to provide more air to bun the coals down for clean out. I had no smoke odor at all during this time. Cleaned the stove out tonight and closed the damper. 1/2 hour later I went to the basement to turn a light out I forgot when I came up initially. I got half way down the stairs and could smell the flue odor through out the room. I opened the damper and went back upstairs. checked again 15 minutes later and the smell was gone.

Why would there be a difference in the draft with the damper closed vs open? (closed = reversed draft - open = normal draft)
I'm stumped !!!!!!

With your damper closed, the chimney can't draft as well as the house can. Your house became the chimney. When you opened the damper the situation corrected itself.

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
With your damper closed, the chimney can't draft as well as the house can. Your house became the chimney. When you opened the damper the situation corrected itself.

Matt
+1
Opening the damper allows warm room air to service the chimney and maintain the draft. Without the air to heat the chimney, it becomes a cold shaft of air that reverses.

Status
Not open for further replies.