connect direct connect collar Harman Magnafire Elite

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coldinnj

The direct connect collar for the Harman Magnafire Elite coal insert is a bit different. Has anyone used a sealent, gasket etc. when installing one of these? As the oval liner just inserts into the collar and the collar just rests on the top oft he stove, I am not comfortable with the design. Has anyone done one of these? I have the pin for the liner. What concerns me is the lack of closure where the collar meets the stove.

coldinnj said:
The direct connect collar for the Harman Magnafire Elite coal insert is a bit different. Has anyone used a sealent, gasket etc. when installing one of these? As the oval liner just inserts into the collar and the collar just rests on the top oft he stove, I am not comfortable with the design. Has anyone done one of these? I have the pin for the liner. What concerns me is the lack of closure where the collar meets the stove.

I installed a direct connect kit for my Pacific Energy Summit (wood burning) last year. From what I can remember, it was oval shape with a round adapter piece on the end that goes on top of the stove. Since most of the kit was oval, it fit pass the damper opening and into the chimney. The round piece was really snug on top of the stove, but I ended up placing a light bead of high-temp sealant around the connection. Then screwing in a screw..

Hope this helps..

I just installed an Osburn 2200i and wasn't thrilled with the way the direct connect fit at the insert either. I ended up removing the band clamp that came with the connector and bending the tabs that the clamp runs through up and out of the way. I used three sheet metal screws through the tabs on the insert to hold the connector down. I then filled the gap all the way around with furnace cement. That seemed to make a much better connection.

Thanks CK, I have tried talking to Harman (the manufacturing company itself) as well as several dealers. None seem to have a definitive answer. None seem to match in their response either. The adapter they sell (Direct Connect Adapter - which I'll refer to as DCA) seems to work via: place a approx. 7" ovalized SS liner into it. Punch a long pin through the DCA collar and liner, to hold the pipe to the DCA, let the DCA hang in the air, place stove insert into fireplace, then grab handle of the DCA pull it forward until it buts up against the back of the stove and lays on the top of the stove. Place a single screw in the flange at the front, that’s it your done.
When I ask about sealing the collar to the stove top for leaks they say just to rely on the draft.
When I ask about a template or exact measurements for the making of the oval liner to fit the adapter, they don't have that information.
Even different responses as to the length of liner needed, one went so far as to tell me we do not need to run the liner as far up as the first clay flue liner - reason being that a good draft would carry it up anyway.
When I call the Harman manufacturer to ask some of these questions: I am told they will not talk to me, only to dealers, That I have to call a dealer and if the dealer does not know they will call Harman themselves.
No dealer has wanted to do this. Of course they are not selling me the stove. They have no incentive to be of assistance. Most are unwilling to admit they do not know the answers so they fake it.
Elsewhere I will post a link to this so others will be aware of Harman's lack of service in supporting their product.
I am sure there are knowledgeable, helpful Harman dealers out there, however finding them is very difficult and from what I have found personally dealing with Harman perhaps it has a lot to do with the manufacturer themselves being unknowledgeable, untrained and uninterested in customer support.

Where did you buy the elite in the first place? That dealer should really be supplying you with your info and answers, as per what Harman says. Otherwise, expecting a dealerto assume the liability when they werent good enoughto purchase the unit from and to assume the liability is possibly a little much to ask.

I would agree however, the place I've purchased the Harman from does not sell or handle that product line. This is the only one they had. They are not a Harman dealer. They readily aknowledge they do not know and have tried to seek the information also. They are trying to do me a favor by helping. They have run into the same problems as I have. If I found a Harman dealerthat:
1) Had the correct information
2) Was honest
3) Was willing to give me such information
I would gladly pay said dealer for their knowledge. I am not looking for a free ride.
In my own company I constantly give out information for free. of course I hope to get payback via customners coming to me for future purchases and service work that I will get paid for. This does not always happen. Also if I do give the knowledge out it is CORRECT & HONEST if not I readily admit my lack of knowledge and will seek out said information.

MrGriz said:
I just installed an Osburn 2200i and wasn't thrilled with the way the direct connect fit at the insert either. I ended up removing the band clamp that came with the connector and bending the tabs that the clamp runs through up and out of the way. I used three sheet metal screws through the tabs on the insert to hold the connector down. I then filled the gap all the way around with furnace cement. That seemed to make a much better connection.

That's exactly what I did. Almost seemed to me like a part was missng.

MrGriz - 27 November 2006 12:48 PM
I just installed an Osburn 2200i and wasn’t thrilled with the way the direct connect fit at the insert either. I ended up removing the band clamp that came with the connector and bending the tabs that the clamp runs through up and out of the way. I used three sheet metal screws through the tabs on the insert to hold the connector down. I then filled the gap all the way around with furnace cement. That seemed to make a much better connection.

That’s exactly what I did. Almost seemed to me like a part was missng.

I thought the same thing at first, but this seemed like a good solution. Have you had any problems with the connection?

coldinnj said:
I would agree however, the place I've purchased the Harman from does not sell or handle that product line. This is the only one they had. They are not a Harman dealer. They readily aknowledge they do not know and have tried to seek the information also. They are trying to do me a favor by helping. They have run into the same problems as I have. If I found a Harman dealerthat:
1) Had the correct information
2) Was honest
3) Was willing to give me such information
I would gladly pay said dealer for their knowledge. I am not looking for a free ride.
In my own company I constantly give out information for free. of course I hope to get payback via customners coming to me for future purchases and service work that I will get paid for. This does not always happen. Also if I do give the knowledge out it is CORRECT & HONEST if not I readily admit my lack of knowledge and will seek out said information.

Trying to do you a favor by helping? This confuses me. Didnt they sell you the unit? Arent they beholden to provide you with said info?
Most likely the problem you might be having is twofold.
1. You might be a victim of all those other folks who want something for nothing. This is common and many retailers get jaded by this, especially this time of year. Stove/Chimney inspections for free, stoves improperly maintained and they refuse to pay for the service call, etc.
2. I must say, that even in your first post, you seemed the angry customer, so whatever dealer you might go to might feel that they are coming up to bat with two strikes against them already, against a pitcher who throws a 100 mile an hour fastball. As per the quote above, you allude to the fact that no Harman dealers have correct info, they are all dishonest, and are unwilling to help. With an attitude like that, Im not really surprised youve gotten no info.

Actually wasnt going to reply to this post, since its likely to just degrade into a bashing session, but hey, just finished my Walmart post! :p

As to what Harryback said:
I posted to inform others as well as seek opinions / advice / knowledge from others.
Hence I realize that once the door is open anything can come in. I have neither desire nor intention of this becoming a flame, argument or degrading into useless insults.
Careful reading of my posts here and on the thread labeled “complaint Harman” address' some of what you said

Where you state: "2. I must say, that even in your first post, you seemed the angry customer, so whatever dealer you might go to might feel that they are coming up to bat with two strikes against them already,
1) I have not shown anger nor any displeasing intonations, inflections nor disparaging words in my conversations with the other dealers. Even when I have found these problems. I do not try to badger people for their ignorance. I prefer to educate and help them grow.

Where you state: “As per the quote above, you allude to the fact that no Harman dealers have correct info, they are all dishonest, and are unwilling to help. With an attitude like that, Im not really surprised youve gotten no info. "
2) You misquote me --- I made a point to state that the findings I have made do NOT apply to ALL. I have taken care to recognize the importance of accuracy in my statements and not to be all inclusive in my statements. I would appreciate if others would show the same courtesy.
Some here have shown great consideration and genuine concern in trying to help. To those (especially Craig. I say THANK YOU).
Some seem to feel their only task is to CYA for the Dealers, blame the end user or try to shift responsibility.
This does not help the dealers in the long run. One cannot fix a problem if they do not realize or acknowledge it is broken.
In my professional career I have spent time training companies on handling customer service, tech support and complaints. I speak from experience and expertise.
As to Harman's methods of customer service -- Research on other forums and across the internet will find I am not alone in these findings.
As to the dealer who sold me the unit. They have given me service, again read previous posts.
None of us are perfect, mistakes are made by us all but in this case you have misquoted me and stated a lot of information that is not correct and distorts or changes what I have stated. Lets us try to attain more accuracy for the benefit of all. Please.

you stated "When I call the Harman manufacturer to ask some of these questions: I am told they will not talk to me, only to dealers, That I have to call a dealer and if the dealer does not know they will call Harman themselves. "

Comment: call Harman back, tell then them the name of the dealer you bought it from and then tell them that this dealer WILL NOT call Harman on your behalf...then listen and see what they say. If they still won't talk to you, then ask them, in light of the fact that the dealer will not call Harman for you, "how you as a Harmon stove owner can get information you require about a stove that THEY (Harmon) make"?

If this doesn't work, thank the person on the phone, get their name and ask them for the mailing address and name of the President of the company......I've found that when there's little-to-no "hard copy" of what's transpired, that people tend to "blow you off" and don't work very hard to help you......however, things are DIFFERENT when there's a "paper trail" (or when a "paper trail" is implied) and even more different when it's implied that the person who says "they can't help you", might have his/her name mentioned in the letter.......

Status
Not open for further replies.