connect the OAK to the stove or leave it lay on the floor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

razerface

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2014
Ohio
I built a new house which included a 6 inch stainless chimney. Code in ohio required an outside air source to be installed, so an insulated vent was run close to the area where I would put the stove. It looks about 5 or 6 inches dia.

I had a TL300 installed later. It would shoot flames and smoke up at me when I opened the top. so I stuck a 3 inch flex tube I had laying around into the 6 inch air source, and ran it down to the floor and layed it behind the stove close to the rear air intake. That seemed to solve everything.

Now I am completing my set up, which was installed for emergency use (no electric)as my geothermal heats cheaper then burning wood. I began to like it alot as I learned to burn the stove, and now I burn it as an obssesion, not a necessity. I can never burn all the wood available to me, but do not have time to burn 24/7. It burns weekends and cold nights when I have time to do it.

Any how, it appears I need the outside airsource to burn, as my house is extremely tight, blown foam with fiberglass insulation over that,,I wondered if I should just leave it laying on the floor behind the stove, as it is now,,or connect it? I feel air flowing out of the hose. It is a 3 inch, and I think the book says I should use 4 inch due to the length. I will change it to the 4 inch if that is needed..

The question--- Doesn't the rear hole feed the "firedome"? If so, I think the outside air should just continue laying on the floor so that the stove could also use the incoming air for main combustion and keep the room from being low pressure. If it is connected, only the secondary burn will get any advantage and the stove may spit the dragon breath at me again.

But,, on the other side of the coin, if it was connected to the back of the stove, air would just flow from the outside, thru the stove and out the chimney when I was not burning, which would prevent heat loss when there was no fire by making a closed circuit of the air since the gaskets seal the stove.

Any experience?

Last edited:
I have one ( 4" insulated) laying near (8 inches) the back of the Austral, it makes a noticeable difference.

do you just block it off (incoming 4 inch) when not burning then? I see where you live you may burn all the time.

I also thought since my stove is in the basement, the cold air coming in may be driving more warm air up the stairs.

Last edited:
If it's already there, I would make the connection. Introducing cold air into your home, basement or otherwise, is still cold air.

I'm pretty sure the OAK will supply both primary and secondary air. I don't know your stove, but it only makes sense.

Reactions: ailanthus
do you just block it off (incoming 4 inch) when not burning then? I see where you live you may burn all the time.

I also thought since my stove is in the basement, the cold air coming in may be driving more warm air up the stairs.

The Austral is in my unfinished. but insulated. basement, when it is not in use I stuff the end of the insulated incoming line with fiber pink insulation. As this is in an unfinished basement aesthetics play no part in the hook up. It is a walk in basement and in the summer months I can easily lift this outside line up and store it out of my way.

you are describing my setup exactly. Do you also have a black dog who sneaks down to the basement to lay in front of the stove?

I guess the only reason I am considering hooking it up instead of where it lays on the floor is the cold air coming in when i don't burn. Mine also works perfectly just laying on the floor close to the stove. LOL,, I do have the square of pink insulation on the floor right beside the hose, but am lazy about inserting it(forgetful)

Did your specs call for 4 Inch? I am still searching for where it was I remember reading that. Wife is trying to find the manual on the stove.

thanks for the link begreen, i was looking for that online. We won't talk about my wifes "filing system", which safely stored the manual,,,,somewhere,,,.

I found the info in that online manual. That is where it stated 4 inch diameter I thought I remembered.

Status
Not open for further replies.